So Who Should Play for the Azzurri? (1 Viewer)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I've come across several Azzurri supporters on forums and streets alike that contradict themselves time and time again. Nobody seems to keep a standard. When Camoranesi was called up for the Azzurri, some fans said no to his inclusion and some fans said yes because of the notion he has "Italian blood," whatever that means. Some Azzurri fans I know were insulting Camoranesi back when he received his first cap, citing that Camoranesi was not born in Italy and not Italian. Now some of the same people praise Camoranesi for joining the Azzurri and consider him an Italian while adamantly saying "NO" to a possible call up of Amauri. What will happen when Amauri lights up the pitch in blue and potentially helps Italy win another trophy?

Then you have some fans who argue that only players with "Italian blood," whatever that means, are acceptable candidates for the Azzurri. Apparently we all have different sorts of blood, with my personal blood consisting of country-like cells from Poland, Holland, Germany and Czheckoslovakia (or is it just Slovakia now?). By the logic of some Azzurri fans, I could play for either of those nations because I have "dot dot dot blood." Yet, however, some of these same fans who use the blood argument are relishing the prospect of Balotelli suiting up for the Azzurri. This kid has "Ghanaian blood," whatever that means. If Camoranesi can play for the Azzurri because he has Italian grandparents, how can Balotelli play for the Azzurri with only a family consisting of Africans? Is the blood argument only valid in some cases?

Then we come to Amauri. He has no "Italian blood," whatever that means, not a familiar Italian name, etc. Some Azzurri fans want him, but most don't want him because he has "no connection to Italy whatsoever." However, he does have European roots, with ancestors from all over present day Europe. Perhaps he may even have some ancestors who moved into or out of "Italy" during the Renaissance or after the Crusades. Who knows? Perhaps the US National Team could call up some particularly stunning Chimpanzee to wow the crowd, because, as you know, Darwin's theory of evolution is becoming more accepted with every passing day. I have monkey's blood proven by evolution, so therefore I could play for the theoretical Monkey National Team.

This is not about any particular players because the players I used as examples are just a little sample of this reoccurring hypocrisy. What people need to do is uphold a standard and stick with it, not making excuses for some players just because they're damn good for the side. If Balotelli is a viable candidate for the Azzurri, then the whole nation of Italy could "adopt" Amauri and have him suit up in blue as well. There really isn't two ways about this issue.

So, who can play for the Azzurri?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Éver

Mar 1, 2008
Oh lordy lord, you still banging on about this?

Amauri = not Italian = Should play for Brazil

Balotelli = not Italian = Should play for Ghana

Camoranesi = Italian parent = Should play for Italy or Argentina

It's that simple.

May 22, 2007
I've come across several Azzurri supporters on forums and streets alike that contradict themselves time and time again. Nobody seems to keep a standard. When Camoranesi was called up for the Azzurri, some fans said no to his inclusion and some fans said yes because of the notion he has "Italian blood," whatever that means. Some Azzurri fans I know were insulting Camoranesi back when he received his first cap, citing that Camoranesi was not born in Italy and not Italian. Now some of the same people praise Camoranesi for joining the Azzurri and consider him an Italian while adamantly saying "NO" to a possible call up of Amauri. What will happen when Amauri lights up the pitch in blue and potentially helps Italy win another trophy?
I don't see how Amauri and Camoranesi can be compared, to be honest. One of Mauro's parents are Italian making him part Italian. Amauri has no Italian ancestors or anything. Nothing to do with Italy.

Then you have some fans who argue that only players with "Italian blood," whatever that means, are acceptable candidates for the Azzurri. Apparently we all have different sorts of blood, with my personal blood consisting of country-like cells from Poland, Holland, Germany and Czheckoslovakia (or is it just Slovakia now?). By the logic of some Azzurri fans, I could play for either of those nations because I have "dot dot dot blood." Yet, however, some of these same fans who use the blood argument are relishing the prospect of Balotelli suiting up for the Azzurri. This kid has "Ghanaian blood," whatever that means. If Camoranesi can play for the Azzurri because he has Italian grandparents, how can Balotelli play for the Azzurri with only a family consisting of Africans? Is the blood argument only valid in some cases?
Its only valid when you have a direct contact to the "blood", if it were up to me. The rest is in my previous point.

I think the rest of your post is summed up by my points above. Different cultures have made different countries. If the monkey thing was used, then there would be one nation and it would make things incredibly boring.

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4

It's that simple.
    I was banned and unable to finish what I was saying.

Why can't Balotelli play for Italy? He was born in Palermo, grew up in Italy, speaks the language, lived off the land, paid his dues to Italian society, and might never even been to Ghana. The only thing he doesn't have is this inane, fictitious concept of Italian blood that people like to think exists so they have an excuse to try to be a part of something they're not.

Are you in any way Italian by the way?

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #5
    I don't see how Amauri and Camoranesi can be compared, to be honest. One of Mauro's parents are Italian making him part Italian. Amauri has no Italian ancestors or anything. Nothing to do with Italy.
    But he does have ancestors that originated from Central/Southern Europe, perhaps even having some family connections with people living in present day Italy prior to 1861. What happens if he has some great great great great great grandfather that lived in Tuscany in 1800 and moved out to Bavaria in 1860. Does the situation change? Would he now be able to play for Italy if this family lineage is proven?

Its only valid when you have a direct contact to the "blood", if it were up to me. The rest is in my previous point.

I think the rest of your post is summed up by my points above. Different cultures have made different countries. If the monkey thing was used, then there would be one nation and it would make things incredibly boring.
    But what is this blood? We all have the same blood. Therefore, people cannot use blood as something to judge matters on who should play for whom. The argument is void.

Éver

Mar 1, 2008
    Ok, I didn't know Balotelli was born in Italy, so im not sure about him.

But i'm totally sure about the Amauri situation and it's more relevant, since he could make the Euro squad.

The only reason Amauri wants to play is because he isn't being picked for Brazil. He doesn't love Italy, he has nothing to do with Italy. No family, not born there absolutely nothing. So why should he play for them?

And really, it should be parents/grandparent al least that it is decided on, not some possible random ancestorfrom the 19th century, that's just silly imo.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #7
    Ok, I didn't know Balotelli was born in Italy, so im not sure about him.
    What is there not to be sure on?

The only reason Amauri wants to play is because he isn't being picked for Brazil. He doesn't love Italy, he has nothing to do with Italy. No family, not born there absolutely nothing. So why should he play for them?
    How do you know that Amauri doesn't love Italy? Don't put words in his mouth, please. He might love Italy just as much as any other Italian.

And really, it should be parents/grandparent al least that it is decided on, not some possible random ancestorfrom the 19th century, that's just silly imo.
    Well, if you're talking about allowing players to play for national teams based on ancestry, you can't just put a limit on the lines of the heritage because it defeats the purpose.

Perhaps Camoranesi didn't even know his grandparents. What happens then? What if his grandparents were estranged and not liked by his parents? Is the argument now void? If you use the grandparent argument you have to allow for the great grandparent argument etc. There is no two ways about it.

May 22, 2007
    But he does have ancestors that originated from Central/Southern Europe, perhaps even having some family connections with people living in present day Italy prior to 1861. What happens if he has some great great great great great grandfather that lived in Tuscany in 1800 and moved out to Bavaria in 1860. Does the situation change? Would he now be able to play for Italy if this family lineage is proven?
    He admitted that he had no link to being Italian in the history of his family. And no it wouldn't change, because both his parents are Brazilian.

But what is this blood? We all have the same blood. Therefore, people cannot use blood as something to judge matters on who should play for whom. The argument is void.
    Two different views on it. Could argue your way or mine. There are different nationalities, and that is all you can say. You inherit your nationality from your parents.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
    Jul 16, 2002

It's that simple.
    :martini:

I was banned and unable to finish what I was saying.

Why can't Balotelli play for Italy? He was born in Palermo, grew up in Italy, speaks the language, lived off the land, paid his dues to Italian society, and might never even been to Ghana. The only thing he doesn't have is this inane, fictitious concept of Italian blood that people like to think exists so they have an excuse to try to be a part of something they're not.

if he gets his Italian citizenship then yes...until then, no

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #10
    He admitted that he had no link to being Italian in the history of his family. And no it wouldn't change, because both his parents are Brazilian.
    But what if he had ancestors that lived in "Italy" prior to 1861?

Two different views on it. Could argue your way or mine. There are different nationalities, and that is all you can say. You inherit your nationality from your parents.
    Not exactly. You inherit your nationality from where you're born and where you live. You can grow up in an orphanage in Romania and your parents could be Chinese, but you aren't Chinese because you can't even speak the language.

There are loopholes to all these arguments. But not one. The blood argument.

We all have the same blood.

Éver

Mar 1, 2008
    I think there has to be some cut off point, otherwise you'll get players claiming all sorts from their "ancestory" just to be called up for another country.

The fact is, Amauri is ONLY trying to play for Italy because Dunga hasn't picked him/he isn't good enough for them.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #12
    But if Camoranesi can play for the Azzurri, why can't Amauri? Lets say that Mauro didn't even know his grandparents and leave it at that. Therefore, he has no connection to Italy whatsoever. And better yet, Mauro probably only wanted to play for the Azzurri because Peckerhead of Argentina wasn't going to call him up.

If Camo can suit up for the Azzurri, so can Amauri.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    It doesn't really matter what blood you have, it's more of where your heart is. This Italian blood thing is ridiculous because we all know if David Villa or Henry had declared want to play for the Italian National Team, you all would be all about it. (theoretically of course)

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    But if Camoranesi can play for the Azzurri, why can't Amauri? Lets say that Mauro didn't even know his grandparents and leave it at that. Therefore, he has no connection to Italy whatsoever. And better yet, Mauro probably only wanted to play for the Azzurri because Peckerhead of Argentina wasn't going to call him up.

If Camo can suit up for the Azzurri, so can Amauri.
    Dude if Ever's argument is true then we (USA) don't even legally have a National Team.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #16
    It doesn't really matter what blood you have, it's more of where your heart is. This Italian blood thing is ridiculous because we all know if David Villa or Henry had declared want to play for the Italian National Team, you all would be all about it. (theoretically of course)
    Of course they would, especially if it was Maradona demanding to play for Italy. Azzurri fans would okay his capture without a doubt. But if it's a player such as Amauri who people think isn't all that good they'll reject him while at the same time supporting Camo on the NT.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Of course they would, especially if it was Maradona demanding to play for Italy. Azzurri fans would okay his capture without a doubt. But if it's a player such as Amauri who people think isn't all that good they'll reject him while at the same time supporting Camo on the NT.
    But Amauri is pretty good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)