Football: To win or to entertain? (1 Viewer)

Mermaidah

May 18, 2003
It depends!!!

If you're palying in a big championship like WC, well winning is VERY VERY important than entertaining...and you can see most final games lack skills and talents...:)

If it's for fun...
Entertaining is more important....;)

In either way...entertaining is an inevitable element...
:) :)

OP

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
  • Thread Starter #3
    Well ive believed that the only reason football exists is because of the fans. Without fans there is no football.

And I believe that for the fans entertainment should be more important than winning.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    I am an ardent supporter of the entertainment camp but I came to realise it's not so simple. There are two groups to please ..... The fans & the accountants.

nedved34

Oct 3, 2002
    for clubs results are more important that will make them richer.
    for fans entertaining so that they will have fun when they watch

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
    Jan 12, 2002
    Simple.

If Juve are playing then I prefer winning.

If any other teams are playing, then I will go for entertainment.

;)

Seriously, I think in football every club is trying to have a good mixture of both. Winning because that is what really counts at the end and entertainment for the fans who are paying to see the matches .. but clubs are very different (largerly due to the coaches styles of play) .. some prefer a solid effective line-ups while others prefer attractive fluent line-ups ...

OP

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
  • Thread Starter #10
    guys this wasnt about what you like or your preferences. this is an attempt at a philosophical discussion about what is the bigger priority in general.

I believe in entertainment because football is a sport and the sole reason sports exist is to entertain the fans who are the heart of a team.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    But if you keep all you games enetertaining your fans like being a "globe throtters " of soccer, and never win,,,your club will soon or late dissapear, and this could be worse.

For me, winning is over everything, no matter what, and no matter what is required to do to reach our goal.

But i have to admit that i really get bored in some games that are not funny.

This is a never ending discussion i think.
    Soccer was made to entertain, but like every competition, you need to win, so , if you never iwn, why are you participating? been always the second.

OP

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
  • Thread Starter #12
    I believe that ideally if you entertain you will have a larger fan base, eventually making more funds available.

And this is the key to success

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    well, that is true.

But youll be always an entertaining loser.

Like inter, they never win!!. And they play extremely boring football.

And the more succesfull you are, the more fan you will have (ex. real madrid).

You can entertain you fans,, but sooner or later, if you never win, the day will come when one of you hardcore fans will get tired of it.

And then the problem begins.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
    Simple.

If Juve are playing then I prefer winning.

If any other teams are playing, then I will go for entertainment.

;)
    haha just what i had in mind!

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    well,ideally both.entertaining football coupled with winning would be very desirable but of course you rarely get the best of both worlds.

or at least in italy.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    We can take example of Juve. This season they had some boring games, for example Juve-Brescia 2-1. Before DP's great strike, the game was boring and tedious and going for a draw. In fact I was disappointed at how poorly we played; yet when the winner arrived I was very happy and 'entertained' cos we grabbed the winner.

On the other hand, check out the first leg vs man utd. We played extremely well, and impressed and entertained people. However we lost and were nearly out of the CL.

So would you rather entertain but lose, or bore others and win?

For me irrespective of the way you achieve wins, if you do achieve wins, your fans are always happy and entertained. In other words, win win win ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)