Official Azzurri (Italy) Euro 2008 Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 2, 2006
Legrottaglie & Zanetti Set For Azzurri Call-Ups?

Juventus duo Nicola Legrottaglie and Cristiano Zanetti could be set for recalls to the Italian national team, according to reports in the peninsula.

National team boss Roberto Donadoni was in the stands at the Stadio Olimpico in Turin yesterday to watch Juventus draw 0-0 with Sampdoria.

In the days leading up to the game many believed that Donadoni was attending in order to check the progress of Antonio Cassano, who was eventually ruled out through injury, and Alessandro Del Piero.

However Donadoni was really there to spy on Legrottaglie and Zanetti, who have both been out of the international reckoning for the best part of four years.

There were high hopes for Legrottaglie when he joined Juventus in 2003 from Chievo, however he had a nightmare first year in Turin making mistake after mistake.

After being sent out on loan to Bologna and Siena the 31-year-old returned last summer but was only a bit-part player in the Serie B promotion campaign under Didier Deschamps.

However since coming on as a substitute in the week four match against Roma this term, Legro has finally burst onto the scene and he has been a colossus alongside Giorgio Chiellini at the heart of the defence.

Zanetti has also had a reversal of fortunes and has arguably been Juventus’ best midfielder this season.

The 30-year-old, who was famously Luciano Moggi’s last signing at Juventus has put in some typically gritty displays.

Italy face Portugal in a pre-Euro 2008 warm-up in Zurich on February 6, and it will be interesting to see if Zanetti and Legrottaglie, as well as Del Piero and Cassano, are included in Donadoni’s squad.

Anthony Sormani

Buy on AliExpress.com

Christina

vanilla pudding
Aug 21, 2006
Don: Italy duo "pulling a sickie" Wednesday 23 January, 2008

Italy boss Roberto Donadoni has teased international pensioners Francesco Totti and Alessandro Nesta as “two children pulling a sickie.”

The Roma captain and Milan defender retired from international duty in 2007 after claiming they were no longer fit enough to maintain the packed club schedule and Azzurri games.

However, their excuses have not entirely convinced Donadoni, who shamed them ahead of the Euro 2008 tournament.

“They are like two children pulling a sickie, pretending they have tummy ache to avoid sitting a test in class,” said the Coach.

Donadoni made the metaphor in a special event with the children of a school in Cisano Bergamasco, his home region.

Totti had 'temporarily’ taken a year’s Sabbatical from the Nazionale to fully recover from ankle surgery and it proved to be his best ever club campaign with a Capocannoniere title and European Golden Boot trophy for top scorer.

He eventually decided to retire on a permanent basis and was swiftly followed by Milan defender Nesta.

channel 4
---------------
:lol:

OP
Jul 2, 2006
  • Thread Starter #4
    new comments from insane milanista dog

Donadoni To Call Up Langella Instead Of Del Piero?

Azzurri boss Roberto Donadoni is not giving too much away about his squad for next week’s friendly against Portugal, but he has hinted that Antonio Langella may be granted a recall instead of Alessandro Del Piero.

Thirty-year-old Atalanta striker Langella is one of the most in-form players in Serie A at the moment, having scored in consecutive games against Milan and Reggina.

The Neapolitan was particularly impressive during the 2-1 win over the Rossoneri as he gave Alessandro Nesta an absolutely torrid time, continually leaving the defender for dead, and dummying the star beautifully on the goal he scored.

This has led to reports that Donadoni is considering recalling Langella, who has only played three times for his country, his last appearance coming three years ago.

"Del Piero scored on Sunday? Well Langella also scored,” said Donadoni when quizzed about whether Del Piero would be called up.

“I like watching everyone but players must show consistency to their performances.

“Cassano, for example, at this moment is succeeding. However, I have not yet decided who to call-up against Portugal, there are many players under observation but certainly you will see a real Italy."

With Euro 2008 just four months away, the time for experimenting is over, and it is believed that the squad that Donadoni picks to play Portugal in Zurich next Wednesday will not be too dissimilar to the one that travels to Austria and Switzerland in June.

Dec 26, 2004
    new comments from insane milanista dog

Donadoni To Call Up Langella Instead Of Del Piero?

Azzurri boss Roberto Donadoni is not giving too much away about his squad for next week’s friendly against Portugal, but he has hinted that Antonio Langella may be granted a recall instead of Alessandro Del Piero.

Thirty-year-old Atalanta striker Langella is one of the most in-form players in Serie A at the moment, having scored in consecutive games against Milan and Reggina.

The Neapolitan was particularly impressive during the 2-1 win over the Rossoneri as he gave Alessandro Nesta an absolutely torrid time, continually leaving the defender for dead, and dummying the star beautifully on the goal he scored.

This has led to reports that Donadoni is considering recalling Langella, who has only played three times for his country, his last appearance coming three years ago.

"Del Piero scored on Sunday? Well Langella also scored,” said Donadoni when quizzed about whether Del Piero would be called up.

“I like watching everyone but players must show consistency to their performances.

“Cassano, for example, at this moment is succeeding. However, I have not yet decided who to call-up against Portugal, there are many players under observation but certainly you will see a real Italy."

With Euro 2008 just four months away, the time for experimenting is over, and it is believed that the squad that Donadoni picks to play Portugal in Zurich next Wednesday will not be too dissimilar to the one that travels to Austria and Switzerland in June.
    Next Sunday he will call Ballota instead of Buffon if both had a clean sheet.

Chazz

natobiaconero
    Nov 15, 2007
    :lol:
    I haven't seen any of Atalanta's games but I doubt Langella has the same impact on a game as Del Piero does. If I'm wrong, please correct me.
    You not wrong i dont see a point in calling up a 30 yr old for his 4th cap he has no international or european experience and he probably wont go to euro so we should stop experimenting. These players should be called for our attack Toni, Del Piero, Cassano, Boriello Di natale, Quagliarela and Iaquinta

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    So what would your team be if you guys were leading Italy instead of Donadoni ?
    Here are the names of the players that played during the last qualifiers and friendlies, plus some other candidates. (Nesta and Totti retired and they aren't included)

Goalkeepers: Buffon, Amelia, Curci, Abbiatti
    Defenders / right side: Oddo, Zambrotta( can play LB also), Zaccardo, De Silvestri, Bonera, Panucci
    Defenders / left side: Pasqual, Grosso, Cassetti, Dossena, Chiellini (can play CB also)
    Centre backs : F.Cannavaro, P.Cannavaro, Materazzi, Gamberini, Barzagli, Domizzi, Legrottaglie, Carrozzieri
    Defensive midfielders: Zanetti, Gattuso, Ambrosini, De Rossi, Nocerino, Mutarelli, Palombo
    Central midfielders : Pirlo, Aquilani, Montolivo, Cigarini
    Midfielders/wingers left: Perrotta, Giovinco, Palladino, Langella
    Midfielders/wingers right: Camoranesi, Semioli
    Attacking midfielders: Doni, Mauri, Rosina
    Forwards: Del Piero, Inzaghi, Gilardino, Di Natale, Cassano, Vieri, Toni, Iaquinta, Rocchi, Tavano, Quagliarella, Lucarelli, Amauri (if he gets the italian passport)

This would be my team (23 players, 3 of them must be goalkeepers) :

Gk: Buffon, Amelia, Abbiatti
    Fullbacks: Zambrotta, Grosso, Pasqual, Oddo (he is awful lately, though)
    Centre backs: Chiellini, Cannavaro, Materazzi, Gamberini (no Barzagli :eyebrows: )
    DMC: Gattuso, Zanetti, De Rossi
    Other midfielders: Pirlo, Perrotta, Camoranesi and one of Aquilani /Rosina/Doni/Giovinco :p
    Forwards: Del Piero, Toni, Cassano, Iaquinta and one of Di Natale/Inzaghi/Amauri

Try to be objective

Chazz

natobiaconero
    Nov 15, 2007
    I would go with more or less your team, Grosso has also been awful lately, Barzagli is a diffrent player when his wearing blue, we covered in the centre so i would go with rosina or gio and attack it would definetly be di natale not a huge fan but his playing some great football. Pippo not even in the picture

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
    Here are the names of the players that played during the last qualifiers and friendlies, plus some other candidates. (Nesta and Totti retired and they aren't included)

Defenders / right side: Oddo, Zambrotta( can play LB also), Zaccardo, De Silvestri, Bonera, Panucci
    Defenders / left side: Pasqual, Grosso, Cassetti, Dossena, Chiellini (can play CB also)
    Centre backs : F.Cannavaro, P.Cannavaro, Materazzi, Gamberini, Barzagli, Domizzi, Legrottaglie, Carrozzieri
    Defensive midfielders: Zanetti, Gattuso, Ambrosini, De Rossi, Nocerino, Mutarelli, Palombo
    Forwards: Del Piero, Inzaghi, Gilardino, Di Natale, Cassano, Vieri, Toni, Iaquinta, Rocchi, Tavano, Quagliarella, Lucarelli, Amauri (if he gets the italian passport)

Centre backs: Chiellini, Cannavaro, Materazzi, Gamberini (no Barzagli :eyebrows: )
    Other midfielders: Pirlo, Perrotta, Camoranesi and one of Aquilani /Rosina/Doni/Giovinco :p
    Forwards: Del Piero, Toni, Cassano, Iaquinta and one of Di Natale/Inzaghi/Amauri

Try to be objective

I appreciate the fact that u r trying to be objective, but Zanetti is an absolute must in that squad...and no Barzagli? :disagree:

May 22, 2007

Try to be objective
    Fullbacks: I think one of Panucci or Bonera will go instead of Oddo. I'd say that Chiellini could be played as one and should be considered as one. Molinaro anyone? :p
    Center Backs: Dainelli for Fiorentina? Is he injured for a long time? He should be considered.
    DM: Ambrosini and Zanetti. One of those two needs to prove themselves as I could say either have a good shot.
    Other Mids: Aquilani out of the maybe section. Foggia is a definite maybe as well.
    Forwards: Di Natale is a definite choice for the team if he is fully fit.

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    Dinadona wont drop Ambrosini and Gila at any case and he would rather try a million Volpi's and Cigarini's before he gets to Zanetti, no need to argue about that!
    Dina isnt a coach, Dona isnt objective,never was, never will be.
    Despite wishing Italy NT's all the best, i wont pity them for insisting on this pitiful excuse o a coach.Their choice!
    If the players somehow manage to prove themselves, despite being tactically amputated, they need to have, a few basic things:
    a new leader to replace, the God among humans, Totti...a solid defense, a pair of deadly finishers and a proper LM.
    I dont think the Dona is capable of fixing all these problems in time and they might be proved fatal against top class opposition...

Christina

vanilla pudding
    Aug 21, 2006

Try to be objective
    I agree with most of your team but like Chazz said, Barzagli is a totally different player when he's with Italy, so I'd call him up.
    Mids: I'm not sure which one of Aquilani /Rosina/Doni/Giovinco should be called, but it'll probably be Aquilani.
    Forwards: Inzaghi? Doubt it. Most likely Di Natale will get the call.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    I agree with most of your team but like Chazz said, Barzagli is a totally different player when he's with Italy, so I'd call him up.
    Mids: I'm not sure which one of Aquilani /Rosina/Doni/Giovinco should be called, but it'll probably be Aquilani.
    Forwards: Inzaghi? Doubt it. Most likely Di Natale will get the call.
    I didn't want to know who will go to the EURO and who won't. I just wanted to know who will You guys and girls call for the EURO if you were Italian NT coach (but don't take the full Juve squad :p )

The squad i wrote above would be my choice if i'm objective. If i'm subjective then i'd take only Juve players, or what's more possible, i'd take the worst Italian players because Italy is Croatian potential rival at the EURO , after all. :pumpkin:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)