May 25, 2006
Zinedine Zidane has said he would like to return to the world of football, but admitted he did not know in which role.

One of the sport's all-time greats, Zidane retired after France's defeat by Italy in the 2006 World Cup final, where he was sent off for his infamous head-butt on Marco Materazzi. "I have no goal but coming back into football, I would like that," the former France playmaker told L'Equipe Magazine weekly in a rare interview.

"Then, in which way, how, I don't know," he added. Zidane said he had a project to build soccer pitches for children in Marseille, the city where he grew up. The gifted son of Algerian immigrants, Zidane was the inspiration behind France's 1998 World Cup triumph on home soil and has been involved in charity since ending his playing career.

"Talking about it 10 years later still gives me the shivers", he said of the finest moment in his career. "I was 26. We had the best team in the world. It was extraordinary. To share that with millions of people was magic." Now 35, Zidane said he realised the image of the ugly gesture on which he ended his career would never go away. "I would have liked to go out in a different way but it's done, that's the way it is," he said.

"I'll have to put up with it for all my life. Having to talk about it over and over again is irritating. That's why I don't like giving interviews."

Source: The Times

Buy on AliExpress.com

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
It's a pretty bold statement, but I think Zidane is even greater than Maradona, and in 10 years everyone will be saying that...

Kosta

The Eccentric
Jul 16, 2006
We've seen much of Maradona also , coming in and out of the hospitals, smoking Cuban cigars with Castro... etc. :D

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
I do agree with you Elvin... but let me admit before some smart ass remind me that I've seen a lot more of Zidane than Maradona.
Actually that could work as a disadvantage for Zizou, I mean we've only seen the highlights of Diego's career, but we've watched Zizou week in week out, and I say even in his shittiest game (which I don't remember him having a really bad game really) he was the classiest player out there...

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
I do agree with you Elvin... but let me admit before some smart ass remind me that I've seen a lot more of Zidane than Maradona.

That's an interesting position to take. In Maradona's defense, he carried Argentina and Napoli..friggin Napoli to glory. there was no way Argentina would have won the WC or Napoli the Scudetto without Maradona.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
That's an interesting position to take. In Maradona's defense, he carried Argentina and Napoli..friggin Napoli to glory. there was no way Argentina would have won the WC or Napoli the Scudetto without Maradona.
i totally agree he is the greatest ever. he was the whole team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)