The Wire (3 Viewers)

OP
Geof

Geof

May 14, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4
    Is this Law and Order style or more like The Shield style?
    Don't know about these. I'm normally not a police show kind of guy, but this one really blows my mind.

It's about drug trafficking in west baltimore mainly.

Long investigations, no real heroes, no big showdowns, no techy CSI like stuff. But just long investigations, well thought, in depth characters...

I don't know if it's realistic, but it sure looks like it is.

Finished season three now.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    Don't know about these. I'm normally not a police show kind of guy, but this one really blows my mind.

It's about drug trafficking in west baltimore mainly.

Long investigations, no real heroes, no big showdowns, no techy CSI like stuff. But just long investigations, well thought, in depth characters...

I don't know if it's realistic, but it sure looks like it is.

Finished season three now.
    Got torrent links? :p

OP
    Geof

Geof

May 14, 2004
  • Thread Starter #8
    The Wire is an American television drama set and produced in Baltimore, Maryland. Created, produced, and primarily written by author and former police reporter David Simon, the series is broadcast by the premium cable network HBO in the United States. The Wire premiered on June 2, 2002, with 50 episodes airing over the course of its first four seasons. HBO has ordered a fifth season, which Simon has said will be the show's last.[1][2] On April 30, 2007, production for Season 5 officially began. It is expected to premiere on January 6, 2008.[3]

The plot of the first season centers on the ongoing struggles between police units and drug-dealing gangs on the west side of the city, and is told from both points of view. Subsequent seasons have focused on other facets of the city. The large cast consists mainly of character actors who are little known for their other roles. Simon has said that despite its presentation as a crime drama, the show is "really about the American city, and about how we live together. It's about how institutions have an effect on individuals, and how... whether you're a cop, a longshoreman, a drug dealer, a politician, a judge [or] lawyer, you are ultimately compromised and must contend with whatever institution you've committed to."[4]

The Wire has received critical acclaim for its realistic portrayal of urban life and uncommonly deep exploration of sociological themes, and has been called the best show on television by TIME,[5][6] Entertainment Weekly,[7] The Guardian,[8] the Chicago Tribune,[9] Slate,[10] the San Francisco Chronicle[11] and the Philadelphia Daily News.[12] Despite the positive reviews, the show has failed to draw an audience commensurate with its press.[13]

Wikipedia.org

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    Baltimore's claim to fame. I've always hoped to be an extra on that joint one day.
    it is a good show and i'm not surprised that its still on. i've been watching since day one a few yrs back and its still the hotness. but it does reinforce the fact that b'more and d.c. are just total shit holes.

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    obviously not all of b'more & d.c. is like that but they are 2 of the most seediest cities i've been to in the U.S.

ppl talk about nyc being like the dumps but in reality nyc is nothing compared to those 2 cities. i'm not saying that only as a new yorker but as a person who has been around.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    I've had this lying around on my computer for a while and I finally got around to watching it and I'm hooked!

The writers are apparently a Baltimore Sun journalist and an ex-homicide police investigator so it's pretty damn accurate. Seeing as Baltimore is basically around the corner for me, that shit is scary lol.

And exactly as Geof said, this is like nothing else out there. I'm downloading season 2 now, hopefully it won't be a let down.

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    Just finished the 5th and alst season.

I would SERIOUSLY say to anyone who values quality of any kind to watch this series. Easily best thing I have seen on tv, by some distance. They set the barr so high its ridicolous, its a must must watch, and its really weird how under the radar it has gotten regardless of the the reviews it gotten for being a mindblowing masterpiece.

P.S Same guy did the new series Generation Kill.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    I just watched season 1 on TV. It really is a great show, don't know why its under the radar like Osman said. Anyone know where i can download/stream the other seasons.

Preferably not a torrent site, as those are banned where i live.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)