The Paolo Montero Syndrome (1 Viewer)

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Most of you will remember Paolo Montero for his reputation as a hard man and a walking red card. To me he was a hero & one of the hardest defenders ever. However in his waning years when he became a kind of a liability to the team. He often tackled late & notoriously so. He often resorted to hacking down an attacker out of sheer frustration. This reaction of sheer frustration is what I refer to as the Montero Syndrome.
After watching most of our games this year I see two players who are in the early stages of the Montero Syndrome. Neddy & DP are resorting to tackling out of frustration. Neddy has been punished for it but DP has been lucky so far. It is always sad to see great players nearing the end of their carriers. Now is the time to take action & introduce measures to make sure DP & Neddy are phased out in a proper way. We are wasting a lot of young talent & I hope Claudio Ranieri realises this.

Buy on AliExpress.com

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
Interesting thought . Although Nedved has always been ill-tempered and Del piero has also been known to commit a foul out of frustration every once in a while . He never gets booked because he barely ever does it but I can definetely see Nedved being very frustrated lately . He hasn't been in top form and I guess its normal ..

Edge

Jun 14, 2004
Nothing wrong with Paolo Montero, you gotta have one dirty player in a great team. Our defence is too clean in my opinion, Nocerino is not that aggressive anyway, not at the level of Gattuso yet.

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
Nothing wrong with Paolo Montero, you gotta have one dirty player in a great team. Our defence is too clean in my opinion, Nocerino is not that aggressive anyway, not at the level of Gattuso yet.
There's a big difference between being aggressive and being reckless . Nocerino is fine the way he is , being too aggressive is what being reckless is , that's where the red cards come in . That's where it starts making us lose precious points .

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
yeah but nocerino doesn't seem to have a fiery character like chiellini, nedved, iaquinta. he's too calm like zanetti, at least one out of the pair should be more aggressive.

Enoran

Nov 3, 2007
Saw this .. nice one and the opponents is Inter ... :weee:

Red cards aside, Montero is really a top notch defender.
I still very much envy the days where the defense is made up by

Torrichelli, Ferrara, Montero and Pessotto

During the successful era under Lippi, we do have a few hot-heads,
Montero, Di Livio, Davids... even Zidane at times

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Good thread. I agree with your assessment of aging players and how that might influence their tackling decisions.

OP
Ali

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #15
    Nocerino's showing the signs of it. His yellow card 9 minutes into the game was hilarious :howler:
    The boy is way ahead of his time. Don't tell me his career is already over :howler:

There was nothing wrong with Montero until age caught up with him.

There's a big difference between being aggressive and being reckless . Nocerino is fine the way he is , being too aggressive is what being reckless is , that's where the red cards come in . That's where it starts making us lose precious points .
    Nocerino at the moment is a tough hustler. The only thing frustrating about him is his passing & what were those weird high chipped balls against Inter all about?

You can't re-create a Montero, he is unique :cool:
    Another Montero will never be all am doing is assessing his waning years & using it as a comparison to our current aging stars.

JuveAdam

Moggi santo..subito
    Sep 12, 2006
    I like the theory of Montero syndrome!

Nedved def is frustrated by being off the pace this year. Will be shocked if he plays on 08/09.
    Montero syndrome, a top theory. Sure gsol can have 3 threads proving its actually Walter Samuel syndrome & all Inters fault, Juve are innocent!

Geof

May 14, 2004
    It's true that a player with a lower condition will be more reluctant to take that extra step to be sure to get the ball, and will more easily slide a tackle, with a risk of fouling.

Older professional players qualify for that, probably. Also in amateur games or veterans: Most serious injuries happen in the last 15 minutes, tired muscles, out of breath = nasty tackles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)