Buffon's New Year message (1 Viewer)

JamalRice10

Mally Loves Nara!
Nov 25, 2005
Gianluigi Buffon sums up his 2006 between great joy and heartache, including the World Cup victory and how he discovered he was not the Ballon d’Or winner.

“It’s difficult to sum up a whole year in one word. Let’s just say it alternated between peaks of incredible joy and achievement, then unfortunately some moments of extreme sadness,” he told ‘Tuttosport’.

His year started with poor form sparked by a long shoulder injury lay-off, but he recovered to take the Scudetto with Juventus – later revoked in the Calciopoli scandal – and the World Cup.

“The tournament in Germany went beyond our wildest expectations. Even among teams who are the favourites there is only a dream, imagine what we felt like going into that competition in a sea of problems!”

Yet the Calciopoli trial proved to be a turning point for the Azzurri. “It united us as a group of players, as sticking together was the only way to stay afloat. That survival instinct helped us to overcome the obstacles. As for the two titles stripped from Juventus, I think they were from the club rather than the players. At the end of the day, it’s just numbers, we know what we achieved.”

Buffon was also caught up in one of the other summer scandals, but this week he was cleared of all wrongdoing in the betting investigation.

“I paid for the fact I am a Juventus player, clearly,” he commented. “I was torn to shreds in the newspapers on a personal level, but although I’m not proud of it, my betting was a private matter and not in any way illegal. Some spend a fortune on special edition cars, I made the odd bet online. Anyone who knows me realises I could never throw a game.”

Out of this chaotic year, Buffon was almost crowned European Player of the Year, missing out at the end to teammate Fabio Cannavaro.

“It was Fabio who told me the results before that last friendly against Turkey in November,” he revealed.

“From that whole affair I realised I could be happy anywhere. Of course everyone would love such a prestigious recognition and when Fabio told me of his success, I was disappointed, but it all passed in 10 minutes. I am surprised at myself, to be honest. I discovered I’ve got a healthy streak of altruism, as I was happy for Fabio.”

Unlike Cannavaro, the goalkeeper chose to stay in Serie B and help Juventus fight their way back to the top flight, a decision that also amazed many people.

“I didn’t feel at all forced into it. Thankfully, I am often able to decide my own future and know I’m responsible for those choices and my behaviour. I understand to some it seemed an illogical move in that moment of uncertainty, but I have no regrets and would do it again.”

The Italian international turns 29 at the end of January and is already looking to the future – but not too far ahead.

“I am very happy with my girlfriend Alena and am looking forward to building a family with her. As for my career, I haven’t got a specific cut-off point. While I’m in the Nazionale and can play at the highest level, I will continue. When those elements falter…”

“I know I am a lucky man and that’s where my drive and hatred of complaining comes from. My wish for 2007 is that there can always be good health and happiness. The rest comes as a consequence.”

Buy on AliExpress.com

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
Gianluigi Buffon sums up his 2006 between great joy and heartache, including the World Cup victory and how he discovered he was not the Ballon d’Or winner.

“It’s difficult to sum up a whole year in one word. Let’s just say it alternated between peaks of incredible joy and achievement, then unfortunately some moments of extreme sadness,” he told ‘Tuttosport’.

His year started with poor form sparked by a long shoulder injury lay-off, but he recovered to take the Scudetto with Juventus – later revoked in the Calciopoli scandal – and the World Cup.

“The tournament in Germany went beyond our wildest expectations. Even among teams who are the favourites there is only a dream, imagine what we felt like going into that competition in a sea of problems!”

Yet the Calciopoli trial proved to be a turning point for the Azzurri. “It united us as a group of players, as sticking together was the only way to stay afloat. That survival instinct helped us to overcome the obstacles. As for the two titles stripped from Juventus, I think they were from the club rather than the players. At the end of the day, it’s just numbers, we know what we achieved.”

Buffon was also caught up in one of the other summer scandals, but this week he was cleared of all wrongdoing in the betting investigation.

“I paid for the fact I am a Juventus player, clearly,” he commented. “I was torn to shreds in the newspapers on a personal level, but although I’m not proud of it, my betting was a private matter and not in any way illegal. Some spend a fortune on special edition cars, I made the odd bet online. Anyone who knows me realises I could never throw a game.”

Out of this chaotic year, Buffon was almost crowned European Player of the Year, missing out at the end to teammate Fabio Cannavaro.

“It was Fabio who told me the results before that last friendly against Turkey in November,” he revealed.

“From that whole affair I realised I could be happy anywhere. Of course everyone would love such a prestigious recognition and when Fabio told me of his success, I was disappointed, but it all passed in 10 minutes. I am surprised at myself, to be honest. I discovered I’ve got a healthy streak of altruism, as I was happy for Fabio.”

Unlike Cannavaro, the goalkeeper chose to stay in Serie B and help Juventus fight their way back to the top flight, a decision that also amazed many people.

“I didn’t feel at all forced into it. Thankfully, I am often able to decide my own future and know I’m responsible for those choices and my behaviour. I understand to some it seemed an illogical move in that moment of uncertainty, but I have no regrets and would do it again.”

The Italian international turns 29 at the end of January and is already looking to the future – but not too far ahead.

“I am very happy with my girlfriend Alena and am looking forward to building a family with her. As for my career, I haven’t got a specific cut-off point. While I’m in the Nazionale and can play at the highest level, I will continue. When those elements falter…”

“I know I am a lucky man and that’s where my drive and hatred of complaining comes from. My wish for 2007 is that there can always be good health and happiness. The rest comes as a consequence.”

What Buffon is saying is to true... Money and wealth come and go.. All that matters is ones health and happiness.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)