world player of the year goes to.... (1 Viewer)

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Fabio Cannavaro has completed an unforgettable year by being named as FIFA World Player of 2006.

The Real Madrid defender has this evening been officially named as the winner by pipping the now retired Zinedine Zidane and Barcelona ace Ronaldinho.

The latter was said to have won the award for the third consecutive year last week, but he’s flown back from Barcelona’s failed World Club Championship bid with the news that he has only finished third.

Cannavaro, who was named as the Golden Ball winner by France Football magazine last month, becomes the first defender to net the honour.

The Napoli-born star also becomes only the second Italian to top the poll after Roberto Baggio in 1993.

"For me it's a great honour to be here, because it has been an incredible season," said Cannavaro.

"The competition is scary, so strong. It's not usual for a defender to sit between Ronaldinho and Zidane.

"Of course it must be a great compliment for the Coaches I've had this year.

"It also underscores the way I am playing - and look at the matches we are playing in the teams I've had, and at Real.

"I can't ask for anything else, with the World Cup and Golden Ball award - you can't do any better than that."

Votes were compiled by FIFA who asked every Coach and captain of each national team under their umbrella to pick their top three players of 2006.

Cannavaro - the seventh man to collect the FIFA Award/Golden Ball double - grabbed 498 votes, Zidane 454 and Ronaldinho got 380.

The Italy captain, 33, has had a quite wonderful last 12 months at both domestic and international level.

He won the Scudetto with Juventus, which was later revoked, before he led the Azzurri to Germany 2006 glory.

The former Inter and Parma stopper then joined Real Madrid after the Old Lady of Italian football were demoted.

Meanwhile, former Inter legend Giacinto Facchetti was given the Presidential Award at the FIFA World Player Gala for his contribution to football.

Facchetti, whose children Gianfelice and Barbara picked up the tribute, sadly passed away in September.

bravisimo canna, well deserved, certainly more than zidane and ronaldinho.
for sum1 who hadnt won a lot till this year, im sure the fact he won the quadrouple - inc. the scudetto, well the wait must of been well worth it :)
p.s wtf did fachetti do to be given the presidential award?

gigli deserves it more, now thats saying sumthing

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Badass J Elkann

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
  • Thread Starter #4
    WTF!!! where is Buffon?!!! :tdown:
    he deserved the golden ball and FIFA prize more than Canna !!! :disagree: :tdown: :smoke:
    i agree, but im pleased out of the current 3 canna won, certainly deserved it more than the other 2.

but wot angers me is the fachertti presidency award, ive never heard of this b4, do binter make these awards up to make them feel extra special if they dont win the scudetto?

giraudo did more than fachetti ever did in his short spell at the inter helm

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    Cannavaro deserved it more than Zidane and Ronaldinho.

Still think it was total joke that Buffon wasn't on the shortlist cos still think he was better than Cannavaro over the whole year.

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    WTF!!?!?!

FIFA is the worst athletic governing body of any major sport in the world!! they are always looking to :faq1: things up. what a disappointment to the futbol world from my standpoint. zz deserved that and yet they award it to some fag from napo!! bullshit my friends. one again fifa comes thru :eyebrows: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

ZZ -- #21 --juventino forever

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Canna should ceremoniously wipe his ass with the trophy and hand it back to Blatter.

It's just a darn shame he has too much self-respect for that.

Now if they gave it to Matrix, on the other hand...

OP
    Badass J Elkann

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
    Feb 12, 2006
  • Thread Starter #18
    WTF!!?!?!

FIFA is the worst athletic governing body of any major sport in the world!! they are always looking to :faq1: things up. what a disappointment to the futbol world from my standpoint. zz deserved that and yet they award it to some fag from napo!! bullshit my friends. one again fifa comes thru :eyebrows: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

ZZ -- #21 --juventino forever
    i disagree, zidane has won it enough times, and besides dont foget the world player of the yr award doesnt just count for performance at the wc, his last season with madrid was mediocre by his standards, canna was instrumental for juve, and italy. by far one of the most underrated players of the past decade, a player who has won very little till this year. ok he turned his bk on juve and i lost respect for him for doing so, but looking back on it, fifa for once awarded this prize to the right man.

im bewildered as to why u wanted zidane to win, afterall he turned his back on juve aswell, so as u call canna a neapolitan fag, then that makes zidane an algerian one

Hennes

Sep 3, 2004
    Seriously guys, I hate the FIFA but this time you honestly can't blame them...

There's a lot confusion here: It's not that FIFA chose three players and then the captains and coaches had to vote one of the three.
    It's that those three received the highest amount of votes so that FIFA announced them as the three finalists.

Here's a link with all the votes: http://fifa.com/en/mens/awards/gala/0,2418,128156,00.html?articleid=128156

Interestingly enough Cannavaro received the No1 spot by most of the important football-nations, especially when it comes to the coaches (Brasil, Argentina, England, Germany, etc...)
    Do they all know less than most of the users here who claim that the title is undeserved?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)