The Offside Rule (1 Viewer)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I heard someone on Belgian tv say something interesting. Yes, it does happen and no, you weren't being funny. He was asking why it is that a striker can wander around somewhere on the pitch, but isn't responsible if he doesn't interfere with play, but that a left back who's wondering what he's doing in his own box when everyone else is in the middle of the pitch puts everyone onside?

Obviously this is fucked up, when you think about it. The current rule only causes chaos anyway and is very annoying. I'd rather go back to how it was in the first place. What about you guys?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
It is messed up. I still vividly remember one of the beatings we got by Lazio, where Nedved was initially "not interfering with play", then 2 seconds later the cross was made and Nedved, through his advantegeous position, slotted in. I think in some cases it's perfectly alright, when the defence is around the halfway line, one striker is offside (and really doesn't participate, unlike Nedved that time) and another makes a run.

If the rule weren't so absolute it might make more sense.

OP
Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    Beh, any offensive player standing anywhere is always interfering with play. Even if he's not anywhere near the ball defenders still have to be thinking of covering him. Let alone the sort of play where the player would score five seconds later, obviously having used an advantage.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #5
    And we really need to get rid of the linesmen. Or at least allow some sort of assistance.

snoop6

Nov 26, 2006
    I don't really understand why they don't bring the benefits of technology to the game, it definitly will be more fair, but seems the officials wants to have the control of the game in their hands :disagree:

Manuel

Aug 8, 2003
    I'm all for bringing back the old rule, offside = offside, no wait and see or things like that. It makes much more sense and, as Seven said, would really be less chaotic.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    Seven has got a point. I am having a hard call recalling an incident (I am having a bout of cold so excuse me!) but not so long (could even be yesterday) I remember a player being yards offside then being active after one passage of player to eventually score.

It could be Barca vs Werder - I might be wrong on this.

This should be called off-side no doubt.

But FIFA wants more goals, and despite the rule being grossly unfair they won't do any amendments that gets strikers more goals.

Anyway I am back to bed.:smoke:

K10

Jul 12, 2002
    I am actually for getting rid of the offside in general.

If a striker is past the defence, so what? Its the defence's fault!

I mean, just keeping a striker upfront and kicking a long ball to him when the defence is at the half line may be ridiculous, but other than that, fuck offside!

Jan 7, 2004
    Jun-hide said:
    Seven has got a point. I am having a hard call recalling an incident (I am having a bout of cold so excuse me!) but not so long (could even be yesterday) I remember a player being yards offside then being active after one passage of player to eventually score.

It could be Barca vs Werder - I might be wrong on this.

This should be called off-side no doubt.

But FIFA wants more goals, and despite the rule being grossly unfair they won't do any amendments that gets strikers more goals.

Anyway I am back to bed.:smoke:
    similiar incident you described happened in barca - werder. i think with almeida, but no goal. very unecessary rule

edit: just noticed your signature. i had a feeling it was del piero

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    Anther incident that i remember is that of Juentus vs Real Madrid in the 02/03 CL semis.The 2nd goal that they scored in their home fixture had atleast 3-4 players in off side positions,but becasue they werent interferring with play,the goal stood.

The current rule does cauase confusion,but it is advantageous in a way as it allows the game to go on smoothly without too many intervals becasue offsides,but other than that its pretty crappy.

The offside rule should exist,but the way it was before.Removing the offside rule would be unfair on defenders,and it would encourage the boring long ball style too.

Im not in the favour of technology either.Football is a smooth game.Using technology would kill that flow,and in a weird sort of way,errors b the refs are a part of the game.Leave it to the officials.Dont bring in Computers.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    Elvin said:
    Ok, so was Gudjohnsen offside when he scored that goal against Werder or not?
    Of course he was and Ronaldinho's :yuck: freekick should have been shot again, the whole idea was lame and done before.

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
    May 7, 2004
    K10 said:

I mean, just keeping a striker upfront and kicking a long ball to him when the defence is at the half line may be ridiculous, but other than that, fuck offside!

If defences had to sit back on their own 6 yard box it would create a ridiculously stretched match of football, that would look like a bunch of krazy foolz running about in little circles.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
    Jacques said:
    Of course he was and Ronaldinho's :yuck: freekick should have been shot again, the whole idea was lame and done before.
    Well Jack, they're all people blessed by God, there's nothing we can do about it

:D

Dom88

Nov 21, 2005
    K10 said:

Well you said it yourself. I don't know about you but I don't wanna see Eto'o and RVN just sitting waiting for the ball and goose-guard for the whole game.

Bring back the old offside rule. This nonsense confuses everyone and I bet not even the linesmen know wtf's going on.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    K10 said:

Eliminating the offside rule would absolutely destroy the game. Why do you think the Scottish FA has lobbied to throw out the offside rule all together? To enhance their credibility in the sport of kickball!

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    K10 said:

Offside rule prevents certain player from goal-hanging inside the box. I quite like it because as a forward you know off-side rule puts premium on your brain. It rewards clever runners and punishes those who cant use brain like Inzaghi.

BTW, I think off-side rule was devised precisely because one or two was goal-hanging hence scoring many goals and opposition thought it was unfair.
    Its a clever rule but FIFA needs to make it more clear than it is.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    Jacques said:
    IMO the goal was unbelievable, a work of genius.

But that was a dive prior to the free-kick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)