Juve 95/96 Vs 2001 which is better? (1 Viewer)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
I and my learned friend, Spartacus, have been having a debate to see which team has the better individuals and the better team.

I say 95/96 and i will tell you why i think so, while Sparty hopefully will try to say why he thinks our team of last season is better

Mine Spartacus'
M1 Peruzzi,A. --------------- Buffon
12 Rampulla,M.------------Chimenti
2 Ferrara,C.----------------Ferrara
3 Torricelli,M.---------------Pessotto
16 Fusi,L.-------------------Fresi
4 Carrera,M.----------------Montero
20 Vierchowod,P.----------Iuliano
5 Porrini,S.------------------Tudor
23 Sorin,J.-------------------Thuram
8 Conte,A.-------------------Conte
13 Marocchi,G.--------------Brighi
7 Di Livio,A.------------------Zambrotta
15 Tacchinardi,A.-----------Tacchinardi
6 Paulo Sousa,M.-----------Davids
14 Deschamps,D.-----------Baiocco
19 Lombardo,A.-------------Camoranesi
18 Jugovic,V.-----------------Zenoni
22 Pessotto,G.---------------Nedved
9 Vialli,G.----------------------Trezeguet
10 Del Piero,A.---------------Del Piero
11 Ravanelli,F.--------------- Salas
21 Padovano,M.-------------Zalayeta
---------------------------------Moretti

In goal, Peruzzi was a very good goal keeper, Italy's number one and even if Buffon might be potentialy better, its not a significant amount

The defence had Ferrara at his best, Torricelli could play competently on the left, right and in the centre, Carrera is still playing brilliantly at Atalanta, while Porrini though not accomplished came up with a few goals, Vierchwood was very quick and one of the best man to man markers in Italian football, Sorin is as has been well documented, an excellent left sided player. Pessotto was an excellent left back as well, definitely better than the version we have now

On the whole, i will give a slight edge to our present team in defence, but not by a lot

In the midfield, where do i start, Paolo Sousa, a gem of a midfielder, he could pass the ball, tackle and had huge skill, Jugovic, the ultimate modern midfileder, he had the lot, he could shoot, great at free kicks, loads of skills, passing ability and bundles of energy. Ask any Milan fan, Milan 1_ Juve 6, jugovic absolutely destroyed them, Deschamps, lets see world cup captain, european Champ captain, great ball winner, great passer, he made life so easy for his team its untrue, Marrochi, unsung hero but couldn't get into the team though cool left foot, DiLivio was a very good work horse, he could cross the ball very well, and neevr let his side down but could not command a first team place . Lombardo was quick and could cross but could he get into the team, ditto for a promising Tacchinardi

This midfield is head and shoulders above what we have now, lets see, we have no energy, pace, skill, and how many goals did our current midfield come up with, Nedved 4, Zambrotta, 1, Maresca 1, Tacchi 1 , Davids 2 and thats about it.
Can you imagine us not starting with Davids or Nedved, we'd be screwed

The strikers, we had Vialli, Ravanelli, Padovano and the young Prince DelPiero

Vialli and Ravanelli will give you 100% effort and will score you goals, no matter how big the match is, while Padovano with his great pace and left foot could come off the bench to score what can i say about the prince of Italian football, then he could score golas like you won't believe.

Anyway this team won the scudetto, without thier inspiration, a year earlier, and thats Roberto Baggio, who at the time was the best player in the world, they won the champions league, they won coppa Italia and were runners up in Uefa final

They beat every big team in Italy at the time and beat the best Europe had to offer while this present team, if you take out Delpiero or if hes having a bad day, they seem lost, didn't beat any of their big rivals

I can't imagine my team being 3-0 up against modest Torino and drawing

I say my team is way better and would have done so much better in the Cl and won the scudetto without the help of anybody

Buy on AliExpress.com

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++

I say my team is way better and would have done so much better in the Cl and won the scudetto without the help of anybody
I don't think you will find anyone arguing...

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
denco, what is at stake here exactly? Are you asking whether the playing squad is stronger player by player? Or the team, as in team effort, tactics, chemistry, all that? Because I would much agree with anyone who'd claim we have a very strong team on paper. But in those days we played differently, we were much stronger. It's true we beat all the best. So in that sense I'm not sure how far this comparison will take you, I think the biggest difference was the outstanding team play, I don't know how else to call it, rather than the list of big names.

Admittedly I didn't see many of the games back then, I think 2 or 3. The semi final vs Nantes I remember vividly. Then the final vs Ajax, that one I still have on tape and I must have seen it 10-15 times. And as I see it, we were outstanding in those days, the pace was really high, we knew what we were doing, we were good at it. We were pressing most of the game, stronger than the mighty Ajax (admittedly half their team was injured). And in the end we came out even but the win was a deserved.

Now comparing that to the handful of games I saw last season, it doesn't add up. We lack creativity, we lack efficiency in what we do. It's like we have a talented group of players who can't seem to get it together. The strongest evidence to support that opinion is indeed all the poor matches played against the top teams. (Say what you want about Ancelotti but the season before this one, we beat all the big boys.) Another thing that stands out is the way we play, the different moves one after another. In 96 they seemed inspired, it was exciting to watch. Nowadays I would rather say we have flashes of good play but the rest is mostly dull.

So I don't know what conclusions to draw from this. Maybe we have more big names now, maybe less. Hard to compare the players back in time like that. But it's clear to me that whether or not they were as famous, they did their thing very well. To try a player-by-player comparison, I would pick out a couple of them...

Peruzzi was magnificent. That's all I can say, I think he was one of the very best in the world at the time. He saved us a lot of times when we weren't doing well, my opinion of him was very high. Buffon, ok hard to argue with that. Say they are equal.

Di Livio, even though he was a sub to Paulo Sousa in 96, he was a great winger. Very fast moves, good crossing, very successful in his game. He could take on 2 men because he was quick enough to outplay them. Zambrotta fades in comparison, he often seems mediocre I have to admit.

Deschamps. He was a very good player at the time. Hard working and skillful. Tacchinardi sat on the bench waiting for his chance to come. Well, I think it's safe to say he's no Deschamps.

Jugovic, a substitute midfielder in the final match. But an inspired one, a good dribbler and he knew where he was going, good passing skills as well. I'm not sure whom I would compare him to in today's game, let's just say there is no striking comparison.

Padovano was a great sub. I remember he scored vs Nantes, he also scored in a number of other important matches. I think that is enough to show his capabilities, he was able when it mattered. Today, perhaps Salas. Could he do the job equally well? I don't know. We'll have to find out.

By no means a complete analysis but I think I've at least cast some doubt on today's squad.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
You know, maybe after playing together for a season under the same coach and no siginifcant changes, our current squad will play well together and gain that "missing element" that true great teams have.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
when del piero was on form, we were great. him alone makes up a massive difference.

apart from that, the 96/96 version is better in almost every way IMO. that was a great team, i don't think our team now is a truly great team, and to be honest, without a few changes i don't think we will be either. the first thing we lack IMO is a decent formation, the one we used last year wasn't good enough

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
What we lack now is someone who can completley dominate a match. The only two players who can come close anymore are Del Piero and Nedved, and neither of them were able to do it consistently last season. Imagine if this season, Buffon fufillis all his potential, Thuram shuts up embraces right back, Tudor and Montero are healthy for the whole season, Zambrotta is able to play at his best for the whole year, Davids and Tacch return to thier form of a couple years ago, Nedved starts playing great and on the left wing and Del Piero has a stronger year. If all of that can happen, we could go down as an all time great team. Unfortunaltey, it probably won't and we will have to settle for a few of those at best.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by BigIzz ] ++
What we lack now is someone who can completley dominate a match. The only two players who can come close anymore are Del Piero and Nedved, and neither of them were able to do it consistently last season. Imagine if this season, Buffon fufillis all his potential, Thuram shuts up embraces right back, Tudor and Montero are healthy for the whole season, Zambrotta is able to play at his best for the whole year, Davids and Tacch return to thier form of a couple years ago, Nedved starts playing great and on the left wing and Del Piero has a stronger year. If all of that can happen, we could go down as an all time great team. Unfortunaltey, it probably won't and we will have to settle for a few of those at best.
yes, thats a lot of ifs. it's not impossible, a couple of those should go through.

i would love for us to go back to three at the back, i think that would do us very good. i think that our midfield has been so out of form that we need five men there, or we could disable our opponents with an astonoshing attack

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
Cant see how anyone can claim todays team is anywhere near the team of 96, they were superior in every way...

but 59 was far better than either......

VAVASSORI(MATTREL)
GARZENA(CASTANO)
B.SARTI
EMOLI
CERVATO
COLOMBO
NICOLÈ
BONIPERTI
CHARLES
SIVORI
STACCHINI.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
I agree that Ancelotti is a underrated and as u said trampromp, i dont think he's a genius. The "key" that made Ancelotti's juventus better looking was that Mr.ZZ was there!!
Common guys, Remember when ZZ was injured for a few weeks, juve was the ugliest team in serie A!

I agree that the 95/96 juve is better, and our results against the "big" teams last season proves this.

another point about the ancelotti team is that it was Inconsistant.
that Juve was classy and could beat Milan and Inter, but they lose 4-1 to lazio! and 2-1 to Atalanta!!
At least the 01/02 juventus is consistant!! even though juve wasn't consistent at a high level. juve was consistent as an average team. We beat ALL the weak teams and lost point to the stronger teams. (inconsistancy coasted inter and roma the title as it did juventus in 01 and 00 even though they were better than juve)

The 95/06 juve : class + consistancy :)

Antonio

Jul 14, 2002
Obviously Juve 1995 was better, but it's stupid to compare player by player IMO. It was better cause they scared the whole Europe when they played. The Bianconeri warriors, leaded by Vialli. This team is just a good team, but there are other teams who got more respect in Europe, at least now. THAT Juve, the Juve who made 4 consecutive finals, scared 99% of the other teams we faced.

JKane

May 31, 2001
I'm with Paul on this one. Last season's team can't be compared to the 1996 one.

We were strong in every part of the field, espacially in attack with Ravanelli - Vialli - Del Piero :touched:

Dockny

Jul 22, 2002
But the team of 1996/97 was great too with Zizou in the team they lifted a division! the 6- 1win against Milan :D forza!!

Peruzzi,A.
Rampulla,M.

Falcioni,D.
Ferrara,C.
Torricelli,M.
Porrini,S.
Montero,P.
Juliano,M.

Dimas,M.
Conte,A.
Di Livio,A.
Tacchinardi,A.
Deschamps,D.
Lombardo,A.
Jugovic,V.
Pessotto,G.
Zidane,Z. :star:
Cingolani,N.
Trotta,I.

Del Piero,A.
Padovano,M.
Boksic,A.
Vieri,C.
Amoruso,N.
Andorno,D.
Chiavaroli,P.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)