Platini : If I Were UEFA President... (1 Viewer)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Ideologically that's fair, but I'd rather see Fiorentina taking on Liverpool than Reijkjkavik beating Haifa no matter where they ended up in their respective leagues.

OP
Ahmed

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
  • Thread Starter #3
    Seven said:
    Ideologically that's fair, but I'd rather see Fiorentina taking on Liverpool than Reijkjkavik beating Haifa no matter where they ended up in their respective leagues.
    that would be a classic!!! :p

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

totally fair, champions leauge lost about half of it's meaning somewhere along the way, it's hardly a "champions' " league anymore. still seven has a point.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
    Seven said:
    Word.

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
    i agree with seven.This is supposed to be the best club championship in the world and u will be decreasing its quality if some of the big teams dont make it or are not allowed to.

Another point is that what guarenttees that the quality players in the smaller teams would stay? i think they would rather move to bigger teams once the become famous.Something like what happend with Porto a few years back

Also Platini is shooting himself in the foot, he could end up in a war with the G-14 who would break from the CL and create their own championship and guess which will attract more fans.

OP
    Ahmed

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
  • Thread Starter #12
    The big clubs from the smaller European nations can also produce some exciting football and shocking results as well...remember Dynamo Kiev a few years back when they had Rebrov and Sheva...and honestly where would u have seen Sheva b4 besides the UCL??? And I think having the top 3 teams from the bigger nations is more than enough...It will in turn benefit their domestic football because now the stakes will be even higher

Marc

Softcore Juventino
    Jul 14, 2006
    I would vote for him.

Serie A HAS to be reduced to 18 teams like it was before.

I mean, it is not easy for players to play 38 league games + 10 games in Champions League + eventually 6 games in National Cup, and still have to play games for their National Team.

This is way too exausting.

Champions League should have more members from other countries, not that they have to pass 2 preliminary rounds to get into Group Stage.

So I would restrict every nation representatives to 3 maximum.

Changes have to be done.

Omair

Herticity
    Sep 27, 2006
    I agree with Platini .. he has a nice point .. but still I would like to see a higher competition in the UCL .. :) ...

reggaeboy

É la erede al trono!!!
    Sep 8, 2003
    I am new here. I have conflicting views but i am leaning more towards Platini. The UCL has somewhat lost its status because of the excessive amount of teams, which for the most parts are not really"Champions". However i do agree with Seven as well i would prefer to watch the 3rd place team from Italy, Spain or England as opposed to teams from some smaller footballing countries. As a matter of fact, once Juve is involved i am quite satisfied...Italy's only true Champion...Forza Juve

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
    Aug 1, 2002
    The bigger the clubs, the bigger the tv contracts, the more the money. And money rules all today, not just in football. theres no way UEFA will allow the CL to lose money they know is wating for them.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    vlatko said:
    totally fair, champions leauge lost about half of it's meaning somewhere along the way, it's hardly a "champions' " league anymore. still seven has a point.
    A friend of mine refers to it as the "Champions' and Assorted Oher Rich Clubs' League". :smile:

Yeah, it would be nice to see it reduced, but the UEFA Cup would need to get a boost in terms of prize money. As it stands, European competition encourages two and three horse races as the same clubs finish at the top, earn loads more money than anyone else, and stay on top.

I don't have a solution, but I'd like to hear Platini explain his.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)