Managers do not win you games but they can lose it for you (1 Viewer)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
I have said this before when i was refering to the demerits of Capello and I have seen Kaiser France reiterate
What do you guys think?
Do you guys believe that managers are overrated?
or do you believe a manager is the most valuable member of a team

Buy on AliExpress.com

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
Chelsea are a good example,they have always had great squads over the years & Ken Bates was not one to be deterred by heavy price tags.Ruud Gullit,Gianluca Vialli & Claudio Ranieri had great players at their disposal & good financial backing yet they never brought home the much coveted premiership trophy.

Jose Mourinho comes along & in his first 2 seasons & makes a complete change in attitude & players mentality.I know there will be ppl that will argue that Abramovic's millions "made the difference" but before that is put to argument,just have a look at Real's "Galactico squad" & explain to me why they have failed miserably over the last three seasons.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
Byrone said:
I know there will be ppl that will argue that Abramovic's millions "made the difference" but before that is put to argument,just have a look at Real's "Galactico squad" & explain to me why they have failed miserably over the last three seasons.
They've failed due to an incredible lack of defensive players.

And Chelsea was of a whole other quality before the Russian, not taking anything away from Mourinho though.

white_rabbit

Apr 9, 2006
talking sbout chelsea

most of the good players they have now are from the ranieri ara. most of the players jose brought with him are replacable but not the ones from raneiri ( chek, terry, lapard, robbin, cole, mekalili, galas )

but he made the difference as a manager.

OP
denco

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #8
    Stripper said:
    Lippi proved that managers in fact do win games
    How did he do that? I am not knocking him at all as he is someone i like and admire but fact of the matter is that like big Phil, they have won a major tournament by avoiding the big guns and getting away with naff decisions along the way. Big props to him though as he is a world cup winning manager and it does not get better than that

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
    denco said:
    I have said this before when i was refering to the demerits of Capello and I have seen Kaiser France reiterate
    What do you guys think?
    managers can ruin a game very easily, all these years, Italian managers ruined the game of the national team, by playing with wrong tactics, Lippi didn't do all these alone by himself, he has the best squad, but he sure has a big role for winning the cup.

There are also examples how the Real madrid coaches failed with those squads.

IMO managers have bigger role in victories than you expect.

Byrone

Peen Meister
    Dec 19, 2005
    white_rabbit said:
    talking sbout chelsea

most of the good players they have now are from the ranieri ara. most of the players jose brought with him are replacable but not the ones from raneiri ( chek, terry, lapard, robbin, cole, mekalili, galas )

but he made the difference as a manager.
    Robben was signed by Mourinho.

Byrone

Peen Meister
    Dec 19, 2005
    snoop said:
    managers can ruin a game very easily, all these years, Italian managers ruined the game of the national team, by playing with wrong tactics, Lippi didn't do all these alone by himself, he has the best squad, but he sure has a big role for winning the cup.

There are also examples how the Real madrid coaches failed with those squads.

IMO managers have bigger role in victories than you expect.
    infact the best example would be Inter Milan, Morratti spending millions & gaining nothing.

OP
    denco

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #12
    Byrone remember Lippi was at Inter

If you view the wc without prejudice, Pekerman and Perreria fooked up big time as they single handedly put their respective teams out of the world cup
    Aragones stupid decision to start Raul cost his team as well

Dec 26, 2004
    denco said:
    What do you guys think?

I kindda agree with ya denco, anyone who recall our last two exits of the CL can figure out that we only get out becuase of Capello's sterile tactics...

Anyway if a good manager can avoid losing games that a dull manager will lose it for ya... still a pretty good deal for me :p

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Lippi once again choked in a final. He made ridiculous subsitutions at ridiculous times in the game. Italy partly lost because Zidane self-destructed and, most importantly, because Trezeguet hit the crossbar. There is absolutely nothing Lippi did to cause those events.

Lippi choked and got lucky.

Mar 6, 2005
    Erik-with-a-k said:
    Lippi once again choked in a final. He made ridiculous subsitutions at ridiculous times in the game. Italy partly lost because Zidane self-destructed and, most importantly, because Trezeguet hit the crossbar. There is absolutely nothing Lippi did to cause those events.

True that..

I still can't believe he took off camoranesi for del piero, virtually leaving the right flank extremely vulnerable... As if they weren't holding on by the skin of their teeth already..

Oh, well, in the end, it all worked out for him, I guess...

OP
    denco

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #16
    SexualChocolate said:
    True that..

I still can't believe he took off camoranesi for del piero, virtually leaving the right flank extremely vulnerable... As if they weren't holding on by the skin of their teeth already..

Oh, well, in the end, it all worked out for him, I guess...
    Funny enough i thought Camoranesi played 30 minutes too much in that particular game and should have been subbed a long time ago. I didnt agree with taking off of Perotta and i did not agree with Iaquinta coming on and not Gilardino but they won and thats what matters. But Like Erik rightfully said Lippi did not effect the final outcome, the cross bar did

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Erik-with-a-k said:

Lippi's finaly 60 minutes of coaching that final were, well, capable of only anaemic results. Italy was lucky that France could not score and Gigi was in top form -- when they kept sending the ball in as Italy looked too tired to do more than half-hearted long-ball attempts up the pitch.

I'm thrilled he got the victory anyway... he deserves it, despite his shortcomings in the final. And props to him for stepping down and pretty much mooning all those who wanted his head on a platter before the Cup. :tup:

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
    i think the tournament as a whole proved that managers have a big role in winning as well as losing.

the mental side of the game was proved to be a big side, the managers that focused on that side benefited very much.Teams like germany,australia,italy and even france. They played with soo much flair.And that side impressed very much, and that extra grit gave them alot.Brazil showed that deficiency in that side, could be disastorous.

teams like argentina proved that managers could lose a game.

The manager that handled both aspects of the game equally, won the cup for his team.Also Lippi's flexibility gave him the edge in games like the one against australia and germany.So i think if it was someone else there, italy wouldnt be holding the world cup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)