Fifa to investigate Zidane provocation (1 Viewer)

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
Fifa have confirmed they will investigate what led to Zinedine Zidane's extraordinary reaction to Marco Materazzi's comments during the World Cup final.

Several theories have been forwarded as to what the Italy defender said to provoke such an angry response from the France captain, who was taking part in his final game before retiring.

Materazzi has denied calling Zidane a "terrorist" and some sources claim he insulted the Frenchman's family.

"Fifa will open a disciplinary investigation into Zidane's conduct to enable it to clarify the circumstances surrounding the incident as exactly as possible," read a statement from the governing body.

If the Internazionale centre back is found guilty of making any racist remarks to Zidane, he can expect to be banned by the authorities.

Zidane was sent off for the offence and France went on to lose the final on penalties after their midfield maestro had gone closest to scoring in extra time when forcing a flying save out of Gianluigi Buffon.

Skysports

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ramin

vBookie Champion
Nov 18, 2003
Byrone said:
If the Internazionale centre back is found guilty of making any racist remarks to Zidane, he can expect to be banned by the authorities.
Thats got to be a joke. Players provoke their opponents all the time. Even though i hate Materazzi, it was crazy from Zidane to attack him in the way he did. He's got to fined or jailed for his actions.

If it was any other player than "Zidane", there would have been no investigation...

The people in control of Fifa should go fvck themselfs.

Guzzler

Apr 14, 2006
i think the only reason why their investigating was because certain unsavory sections of the media have stated that materazzi called him a terrorist.

The following was taken from www.channel4.com/sport

Marco Materazzi has dismissed claims that Zinedine Zidane turned and head-butted him after calling the French ace a “terrorist”.

The former Juventus playmaker ended his career in disgrace on Sunday when he reacted violently to something said by the Italian during the World Cup Final.

But Materazzi has distanced himself from claims that he threw the word “terrorist” at the 34-year-old.

“The whole world saw what happened on television,” the ex-Perugia man, who scored in the Final, stated.

“Terrorist? It’s not true, I did not call him a terrorist,” he added. “I’m ignorant, I don’t even know what the word means.”

Zidane has yet to reveal his version of events, but a host of media organisations all over the world have been employing lip-readers to shed light on what made Zizou lose control.

According to the BBC, Materazzi is alleged to have said: “I wish an ugly death to you and all your family. Go **** yourself.”

The Sun newspapers believes Materazzi’s insult was aimed at Zidane’s mother Milika, who is suffering with illness.

Their Italian lip-reader believes that the stopper called the No 10 a “son of a terrorist whore” before he was sent crashing to the ground by Zidane’s attack.

However, Materazzi’s agent has defended his client and insisted Zizou reacted to a jibe about the possibility of swapping shirts at the end of the game. “I’d rather take the shirt off your wife,” it’s claimed he stated.

Jul 6, 2006
Ultimately what, it'll be Zidane's word against Materazzi's, unless it was somehow recorded by a camera/audio crew. Even so, no matter what "Matrix" might have told him, Zidane's reaction was out of proportion. FIFA is ridiculous.

Guzzler

Apr 14, 2006
It appaers Zidane will reveal all!!!

Zinedine Zidane will reveal later this week what possessed him to head-butt Marco Materazzi in the World Cup Final, his agent has confirmed.

The Frenchman brought his career to an unforgettable end when he was red-carded for his assault on the Azzurri centre-back.

Speculation suggests that Zizou reacted to verbal provocation and his representative has admitted that is the case.

"He told me Materazzi said something very serious to him, but he wouldn't tell me what," Alain Migliaccio told BBC Five Live Sport.

"Zinedine didn't want to talk about it but it will all come out in the next week," he added.

"He is a man who normally allows things to wash over him, but on Sunday night something exploded inside him.

"He was very disappointed and sad. He didn't want it to end this way."

A variety of theories regarding what was said are doing the rounds, such as claims that the Inter stopper insulted the player by making comments about his sister or his mother.

Although Materazzi is no angel, as most Italian football followers are aware of, his father Giuseppe Materazzi has leapt to his defence.

"I spoke to him briefly after the game," said Materazzi senior, a former Coach of Bari. "Marco had told me he had been provoked. It's as though they have something against him each time.

"I don't want to be controversial, but there are things that have to be said instead of just pointing the finger and putting a black mark against someone."

Channel4.com/sport

Espectro

The Grimreaper
Jul 12, 2002
I find this quite stupid, ths only is happening becouse its Zidane, and they are trying to make his actions rigth.

Players insults themselfs on the field al the time, its part of the game, if Zidane lost his head and punch Materazzi it was his mistake, and a very stupid mistake if you consider that it was the World Cup Final

Im sick of hearing that Zidane was the victim, maybe these people have forget that this is not anything new on Zidane, he has lost his head in several times and has eran stupids red cards in the past.

What a joke.

Espectro

The Grimreaper
Jul 12, 2002
I dont think Zidane is behind this, and I dont hate him for this, he is a great player, Im against Fifa here, they are the ones who are making all these circus.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
Zidane and FIFA is almost synonymous. They even gave him the Golden Ball. Disgrace.

He should shut the hell up and bow, take a kneel for the Champions but what does he do?

He wants to shift blame...

What a jackass.

Zidane, you were excellent at this club but after you left you turned into a cnut.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
He's still the best player in the world as far as I'm concerned, an absolute legend. Anybody who tries to take away from his career after this debacle is simply pathetic.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
Andy said:
He's still the best player in the world as far as I'm concerned, an absolute legend. Anybody who tries to take away from his career after this debacle is simply pathetic.
He is a legend but when he does a thing like that in a final it doesn't ADD to his legendary status. The exact opposite happens.

Ever since leaving Juventus, Zidane has turned into a grumpy old git and I'm glad he has retired.

Legend, yes, but the best player in the world? nah. the best of all times? hell no.

Thank you Zizou and good bye.

Espectro

The Grimreaper
Jul 12, 2002
Andy said:

Agree, I have alot of respect for Zidane.

But he did make a mistake, and all of this is just to try to make that mistake rigth, and that is not the case.

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
zidane is a true great, he has not moaned about anything, and how people can say he wasn't great after he left juve is a joke, he was amazing for real madrid, what he did was wrong, but ffs people, he is a legend

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I don't understand why it takes several days for Zidane to come up with something to say on this. Talk about a big build up. Is he hiring a press corps and consulting on messaging??

In any case, this is an episode that's best left behind. Adding this build up is making things worse overall.

Afterall, we all know Materazzi sent one of these to his hotel room before the match to set him off... :agree:

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
i'm not saying he's not a legend. I'm just saying I had more respect for him before he did what he did than after. and as for him not moaning... what do you think is happening now in the media? He's still fired up, determined to make the world realize that it was MATERAZZI's fault.

But hey, gotta respect that - right?

After all..Saying something provocative is much more worse than headbutting. Right? :disagree:

Sep 28, 2002
swag said:
Afterall, we all know Materazzi sent one of these to his hotel room before the match to set him off... :agree:
i want one of these, theyre amazing!

anyways, zidane is a legend, but also an idiot, not the first time he gets sent off for a violent reaction. why wasnt anyone defending totti when he spat on poulsen? wasnt he provoked also, dont you think? or was it because totti acted like a sorry loser by spitting on someone, while zidane was a real man and knocked matrix out? two equal idiots as far as im concerned. thank god france lost, seeing barthez lifting the cup wouldve been too much.

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
Ramin said:
Thats got to be a joke. Players provoke their opponents all the time. Even though i hate Materazzi, it was crazy from Zidane to attack him in the way he did. He's got to fined or jailed for his actions.

If it was any other player than "Zidane", there would have been no investigation...

The people in control of Fifa should go fvck themselfs.

If it was any other team than Italy taunting players with racism you would be having a fit. :disagree:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)