Italy offended by German jibes (1 Viewer)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Italy offended by German jibes
July 3, 2006

The Italian team are furious with an article published on Der Spiegel newspaper's website and hope to exact revenge by knocking the host nation out of the World Cup on Tuesday.

The article joked that Italians were "lazy and greasy, among other things".

Skipper Fabio Cannavaro said: "As an Italian and captain, I feel offended.

"These stereotypes applied to us come from an old culture that has been overly abused.

"It shocks me that this can happen in a civilised country like Germany."

Midfielder Gennaro Gattuso added: "That article offended my father and every other Italian who worked hard for low pay.

"Germany has given Italians work in the past but our countrymen put in the effort and earned their wages."

The article, which has sicne been withdrawn, has added extra spice ahead of Tuesday's semi-final meeting between the two countries.

www.worldsoccer.com

Will these Germans ever learn?

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3
    But if an Italian paper would hit back by printing anything even close to an insult about Germany's former disgusting self, the whole world would be offended.

Apr 12, 2004
    Andy said:
    July 3, 2006

The Italian team are furious with an article published on Der Spiegel newspaper's website and hope to exact revenge by knocking the host nation out of the World Cup on Tuesday.

"These stereotypes applied to us come from an old culture that has been overly abused.

Midfielder Gennaro Gattuso added: "That article offended my father and every other Italian who worked hard for low pay.

"Germany has given Italians work in the past[/] but our countrymen put in the effort and earned their wages."

The article, which has sicne been withdrawn, has added extra spice ahead of Tuesday's semi-final meeting between the two countries.

www.worldsoccer.com

Are they talking about WWII?

Because the last time these two countries actually "talked nice," Poland disappeared.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Like I said to Erik earlier, Berusca no less made an offensive remark about Germany a few months ago and he was the highest official of a supposedly civilized country, so apparently it does happen yeah.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Problem is that the minds of too many buttheads are stuck in WWII.

This morning I just had to suffer through another idiotic English-language sports journalist in the last New Yorker magazine where he described Italy's play against the U.S. in this WC as their stereotypical low-goal-scoring catenaccio.

Retard.

Apr 12, 2004
    swag said:
    Problem is that the minds of too many buttheads are stuck in WWII.

This morning I just had to suffer through another idiotic English-language sports journalist in the last New Yorker magazine where he described Italy's play against the U.S. in this WC as their stereotypical low-goal-scoring catenaccio.

Retard.

Call the magazine and have him fired.

Christina1

Jul 2, 2006
    Andy said:
    July 3, 2006

"Germany has given Italians work in the past but our countrymen put in the effort and earned their wages."

www.worldsoccer.com

Well I'm German,and I take offense to some of the stuff said.I don't hate Italy,there a great team.But I love football & would always support Germany.But I'm not ugly towards the Italian team, or Italians.They've earned their rights as far as sports goes....

IlDivinCodino

f**king hot prospect
    Mar 5, 2006
    Andy said:
    July 3, 2006

www.worldsoccer.com

:tdown::disagree:
    I hope Italy kick their asses tonight!!!

Sep 14, 2003
    I think that while most Italians will be quite rightly offended at such an 'article', any dislike won't be aimed at the German people, just the silly idiots who wrote it and decided it was OK the publish it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)