shock for Greece: suspention from FIFA (2 Viewers)

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
FIFA suspends the Hellenic Football Federation

The FIFA Emergency Committee, composed of five presidents and one representative of each of the six confederations, today (3 July 2006) decided to suspend the Hellenic Football Federation (HFF), having determined that the situation of the HFF is not in line with the principles of the FIFA Statutes regarding the independence of member associations and the independence of the decision-making process of the football-governing body in each country.
In September 2005, the FIFA Executive Committee gave the HFF a deadline of 15 July 2006 to obtain from the Greek government an amendment to the national law on sports in order to enable the association to be in conformity with the FIFA Statutes and the relevant UEFA regulations.

In spite of repeated warnings from both FIFA and UEFA, the commitment expressed by Greek government representatives to amend the law on sport to irrevocably recognise that football matters can only be decided by the HFF and its subordinated football structures has not been respected. In fact, the recently-presented draft of a new law on professional leagues constitutes another example of interference from the government in football affairs. Therefore, the FIFA Emergency Committee has determined that the deadline would not be met by the HFF and that the suspension of this federation was necessary.

This decision means that the HFF and all of its members (clubs, players, officials) are suspended with immediate effect and until further notice from all international contact, which also includes participation in international competitions at all levels, the organisation of international matches in Greece and the appointment of officials for international duties.

source: http://www.fifa.com/en/media/index/0,1369,118144,00.html?articleid=118144

Buy on AliExpress.com

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
Maresca said:
This decision means that the HFF and all of its members (clubs, players, officials) are suspended with immediate effect and until further notice from all international contact, which also includes participation in international competitions at all levels, the organisation of international matches in Greece and the appointment of officials for international duties.

source: http://www.fifa.com/en/media/index/0,1369,118144,00.html?articleid=118144
Wait,does it meen that they won't take a part in C.L.?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Wow. Scary flame-out. I thought the 17-party electoral system in Greece was the definition of neo-Byzantine. Here this mess even extends to the sport.

I really hope this is a strong signal for them to clear up their act and organize against petty infighting ... when the forces demand internal organization against outside competition.

The fans, and voters, in Greece deserve better than this. :groan:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I guess I'm not conditioned to think of a team's God-given right to defend their title. I thought it was a ridiculous argument when it came up with Liverpool last year, and I think it's even more a ridiculous one given the four-year span of tournaments like the Euro.

It must be that I just culturally have never been exposed to that belief.

OP
Maresca

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
  • Thread Starter #10
    Morra10 said:
    what about euro 08? will they be allowed to defend their title?
    they have to solve their problems as soon as posible, if not they will not take part at the euro qualification.

I am just wondering if the italian federation also can be suspended because of the scandal..?

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    swag said:
    I really hope this is a strong signal for them to clear up their act and organize against petty infighting ... when the forces demand internal organization against outside competition.
    I really doubt it:disagree:

BUT
    "the FIFA Executive Committee gave the HFF a deadline of 15 July 2006 "

Orfanos (sports sub-minister, the word ironically mean orfan too:D ) said we still have the time to vote new laws by that time and he will resolve the problem:oops: and that FIFA was hurry to announce the decision...
    typically the Greek way of resolving the problems the last moment:cool:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Cronios said:
    typically the Greek way of resolving the problems the last moment:cool:
    That's not a good thing. I still remember the swimming times were below-par on the Athens olympic games because the Greeks were too late in building the pool and had to leave out the fucking ROOF

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    2/07/2006 18:42 Fifa Lift Ban On Greece Fifa have lifted their of Greece, which means the national team and Greek clubs can resume playing in international competitions.

The ban was imposed when Fifa decided there was too much government interference in Greek football affairs.

But the Greek minister for sport, George Orfanos, reacted by amending a proposed law, which has now been voted through in parliament.

The Hellenic Football Federation (HFF) will now operate independently - but loses government funding as a result.

"In view of this amendment, the Fifa emergency committee deemed that the federation is now in a position to respect the statutes and regulations of Fifa as well as those of Uefa," Fifa said in a statement.

"As a result, the suspension previously imposed on the HFF has been lifted."

therefore, European champions Greece will now be allowed to defend their title in 2008.

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    Erik-with-a-k said:
    Bah, no good. If you're corrupt, pay the fucking price I say.

I agree with that
    and though the whole world is corrupted and Greece is no exception to this rule, some ppl must pay to understand/respect the rules
    BUT the irony here is that the Greek football Federation (ΕΠΟ -HFF) led by Gagatsis (the Greek Galliani) is the responsible for this corruption,
    many sport-ministers tried to weaken his influence and started a personal vendetta against him in the courts of law,
    they all failed, ministers came and gone but he remains,
    the new laws were aimed there (to finally disconnect him from power bypassing him than crashing him) but he didnt let that happen,
    he is better connected within Fifa comissioners than the Greek sport sub-minister!!

rumors said it was he the man who send the new laws to Fifa and asked for actions,
    finally he got what he wanted, his powers remain untouched and the ministery of sports will even have to found him too...:howler:

the strong make justice...:disagree:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)