New Champions' League format (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
New Champions' League format
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Posted 11.7.2002 by Nina, from Football Italia:

(Web story: http://www.juventuz.com/news/newsdi...llnews.cgi?newsid1026402709,9379,General?Nina)

UEFA have announced that they will change the format of the Champions' League from the 2003/04 season.

The European Football Governing body have revealed that the second group phase of the tournament will be scrapped in favour of two-legged last 16 games leading to the quarter and semi-finals.

The new format should last until at least the year 2006.

UEFA have made the move after the competition has come in for some criticism over recent years for a lack of interest.

"We believe this reduction in the size of the competition is in the longer-term interests of everyone involved - clubs, players, fans, broadcasters, sponsors and European football in general," said UEFA President Lennart Johansson.

===

I think this will prove favorable for the big clubs which are likely to survive a simple two legged knockout stage rather than 6 more matches of group play. And as we've seen, a lot of big clubs fall out in the group stages, so I think this little modification could make it more exciting.

Not to mention that it goes a little way towards cutting down the number of matches during a season (though only by 4)...

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #2
    Follow-up story...

===

Champions League: UEFA in fixture reduction shock
    Posted by Nina | worldsoccernews.com

European governing body have acted to try and end the bloated fixture list at top level by axing the second group stage of the Champions League.

The move comes into force next year and ends the second group stage of the competition for the Europe's champion clubs and high league finishers from the previous season.

The second group stage was introduced three years ago with the move to 32 teams but is unpopular with fans and tv viewers.

The first group stage remains with 32 teams competing in eight groups of four but the end if the next group stage reduces fixtures and introduces a knockout round to determine the final eight sides in the quarter finals.

"We believe this reduction in the size of the competition is in the longer-term interests of everyone involved - clubs, players, fans, broadcasters, sponsors and European football in general," said UEFA president Lennart Johansson.

The recent World Cup finals kicked off just over two weeks after the end of the Champions League and players were clearly drained.

Top European stars at the richest clubs clearly struggle to meet the demands of the Champions League which sees winners play up to 19 matches. May finalists Bayer Leverkusen also went through qualifying rounds of the tournament which starts again next month.

Fatigue among the top players and waning television interest in the league format at the second round stage prompted UEFA to act but in the wider context the move is a quick response to FIFA's disquiet about the problems at the recent World Cup finals.

The top European stars looked less than motivated as they went through the motions for their national teams and it is no accident that the favoured European outfits struggled so badly leaving a determined but injury-hit Germany to fight out the final against eventual winners Brazil.

"We want a better balance in European football, a less congested fixture list for players and clubs and a flagship competition, which has the right sporting mix and brand strength".

"We have been listening carefully to our stakeholders and it is clear that there are a variety of views, however we believe this is a moment for leadership in the wider interests of the game," said Johansson.

The massive expansion in the worldwide fixture list now sees a full 12 months of non-stop matches to satisfy sponsors and television's demands for cheap programming. UEFA have taken a first small step to ease the congestion.

With advertising revenues in free fall from the game a rethink was needed to drag the Champions League back into a more competitive and exciting competition.

The World Cup finals may have to produce similar radical action to protect its status. The 32 teams at last month's final seemed way too many but there is little hope of any reduction to try and retain its interest as the clash of elite stars. FIFA are busy preparing a worldwide fixture calendar for 2004 which is supposed to unify the calendar across the globe and leave proper time for rest and recovery among the players.

The power of the clubs at all levels is now the determining factor in th world game.

The Champions League is by far the richest competitition in the world game and its powerful G-14 group of top clubs were keen to reduce the number of fixtures in the tournament.

But the secondary UEFA Cup competition could still see a league format introduced after the governing body fdiscuss its immediate future later this year.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
    Jan 12, 2002
    I agree that this format would benefit the players and probably the clubs too, but as a football fan I would prefer to watch more matches - specially those exciting European matches.

I enjoy watching at least 2 Juve matches per week, one Serie A and the other either CL or Coppa Italia :thumb:

nina

I think UEFA made the right decision. The competition will be more entertaining, although the players will be under a bigger pressure, since there won't be a "make up" macth if they don't do the job right :D

How will they decide who will play away and who at home?

Ben`

Jul 12, 2002
    I still want to see them reduce it to just a knockout format throughout, and only include the champions of each country...the other teams could go into a modified Uefa Cup, that would have more incentive to do well in...like the Winner gaining a Champions League place for the next season, as well as having a single group format followed by knockout rounds to satisfy tv demands.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
    Jan 12, 2002
    UEFA also decided to pull out of the Confiderations Cup following the tournament in Germany in 2005. They are also considering withdrawing from the World Cup Championship.

What a slap in the face for Blatter !!!

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #7
    I have to say the World Cup Championship was a very exciting new addition! It may not have worked out perfectly the first (and so far only) time it was carried out but that was only the first time.

The only problem is that it collides with the principle of cutting the number of matches in a season. :(

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    IMHO the World Club Champ thing is a waste of time....whats the use of making a small tournament with small small teams that would most likely be thrashed by the bigger boys from europe...there should be atleast qualifying rounds

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
    I love the new CL format. I think it will add a lot of excitment to things. I know fans may want to see more matches, but I don't see why you can't stagger the elimination round of 16 and have 2 matches a day twice a week (or something to that effect)

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    this cl format isn't gonna help.i have a feeling we'll be a big victim of this,do not forget that we are quite weak away from home,we may well get booted outof the cl because of this.although it may be different in our own fortress,winning one isn't enough.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #12
    I tend to disagree. I think we have a good potential to concentrate on that two leg stage and play to win there rather than play 6 group matches. I do think this system will actually favor the big clubs, most of which tend to lose concentration at some point during the group play. Instead play two games and move on.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    I tend to disagree. I think we have a good potential to concentrate on that two leg stage and play to win there rather than play 6 group matches. I do think this system will actually favor the big clubs, most of which tend to lose concentration at some point during the group play. Instead play two games and move on.
    I agree, I think this will benifit us. ALthough I suppose it could hurt us. It depends if your drawn agaisnt Sparta Prague or Real Madrid in the round of 16 I suppose.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    i suppose only time can tell.

Jul 12, 2002
    Indeed, something tells me that if Juve go out, the new CL format will have been the worst thing ever, but if they go on, it will be great.

Sivori

Jul 17, 2002
    I share ben's point of view.
    all though any change that will make CL more like the original eruopean cup is welcomed by me. The excitement of a Cup and the different tactics used during a two legged fixture is someting that should remain in the world of football, I see plenty of league games as it is already in the domestic leagues.

How will they decide who will play away and who at home?
    Before they draw the first team they make another draw deciding wether that team will be the home-team or the away team in the first leg.

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Sivori ] ++
    Before they draw the first team they make another draw deciding wether that team will be the home-team or the away team in the first leg.
    Seems like a good way to do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)