U.S. Soccer (16 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
To all US soccer fans: Claudio Reyna, Eddie Pope, and Brian McBride retired from the National Team this afternoon. Kasey Keller will continue to play for the National Team and hopes to help out in some way in 2010. I'd like to thank them for their contributions to the sport and elevating the level of the American game.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Claudio Reyna is, in my opinion, the best player to have ever sported the United States shirt. He might have made a costly error in yesterday's game, something that really bothers me because of his calibre, but over his career he has given so much to our nation that you can't help but forgive him. Reyna was our best distributor, organizer, and tactially sound player we have ever had, and without him we will lose loads of class in midfield. Who do we have to replace Reyna? Absolutely nobody. Cheers and thanks to the best player to have ever played for our nation.

Cheers and thanks to Brian Mcbride as well, who gave his all for our shirt and was one of our all-time best strikers.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
Andy said:
Claudio Reyna is, in my opinion, the best player to have ever sported the United States shirt. He might have made a costly error in yesterday's game, something that really bothers me because of his calibre, but over his career he has given so much to our nation that you can't help but forgive him. Reyna was our best distributor, organizer, and tactially sound player we have ever had, and without him we will lose loads of class in midfield. Who do we have to replace Reyna? Absolutely nobody. Cheers and thanks to the best player to have ever played for our nation.

Cheers and thanks to Brian Mcbride as well, who gave his all for our shirt and was one of our all-time best strikers.

i seriously think that going forward freddy adu can (im not saying will) fill the shoes of Claudio Reyna, this kid will have a world cup career and i hope it is a good one because he is some talent.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
ßömßärdîër said:
I am the American here, so shut your mouth, chief.

Why don't you go elbow a random American in the face, buddy.

so if your the american you should know what they did throughout their u.s. career. and i shouldnt shut my mouth because im not an american but i am a football fan and i wont see these players in their nations jersey anymore.

Alfio_87

Nov 21, 2005
sad to see them go been wonderful for american football, they had there dream wc which was 2002!!
they will definalty leave a few holes for US now, get some young talent in but US will always make WC, there qualification is like taking candy from a baby!

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Andy said:

I agree with Reyna's contributions over his whole career ... he definitely should be commended for raising the bar all around.

But I am actually a little less concerned than you about his replacement for future WCs. Granted, there's more to it than one player of course. But if you look at the USA's WC match record where Reyna is a starter, the picture is very, very different. I believe the 2-0 win over Mexico is the only match the U.S. has ever won where Reyna has started (I think the U.S. has been 1-7-2 when he starts in a WC match). That's one statistic we definitely have to improve upon for future players who replace him.

The good news is that this country is finally getting a taste of the disappointment and head-rolling all contending teams go through with each WC. This, in itself, is progress ... much more over the thinking of it requiring a miracle to advance out of the group stage. Expectations are higher, and only good things come from building on that for a developing national team.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Can anyone tell me more about Bobby Convey than Google can? He was, for me, one of the bright sparks in the ridiculous Italy-USA match, and it was sad to see him taken off.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Zé Tahir said:
I thought so. That's pretty sad.
I don't necessarily think so. If someone wishes to become a citizen of another country, whether voluntarily or through their parents, I would much rather see them play for that country than through some uncle's bloodline and an old postal address in some country they've long since moved away from.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
Zé Tahir said:
What are the chances of Adu playing for Ghana?
Seems i was a bit off.

Adu hints at Ghana option

American teenage sensation Freddy Adu has hinted he may play his international football for Ghana instead of USA.

The DC United midfielder is still eligible to play for both countries, despite appearing for United States against Canada in a friendly in January.

However, as the match was not sanctioned by Fifa, he has still yet to officially make his international debut and therefore could choose to play for Ghana instead of USA.

Speaking after The Black Stars' win over USA on Thursday, Adu admitted he was supporting both nations during the game as he has aspirations to be taking part in the 2010 finals for one of the two countries.

"I really honestly didn't lean one way. I was born and raised in Ghana, I moved here and am an American citizen," Adu told ESPN's Pardon the Interruption.

"I had said in several interviews that I was gonna play for USA but I haven't got the chance to do that yet so when you really think about it, I can't go against either team.

"Hopefully in 2010 I will be on the World Cup team, I don't know if it will be for the US or Ghana because I haven't got a chance to play for either team.

"I love Ghana and I love the United States and I'm torn right down the middle so we'll see and hopefully in the near future I get a chance to play for either the US or Ghana and hopefully I make the right decision."

Adu was pencilled in by USA coach Bruce Arena as an outside possibility to go to the World Cup finals after participating in a training camp with the entire squad earlier this year.

After seeing Arena's men first-hand, the 17-year-old admits he was surprised at their failure to reach the second round, but believes Ghana's progress will give a huge boost to his native land.

"I went to camp with the team for a couple of weeks and this team was good, I actually thought the US team was going to be one of the fittest teams at the tournament, the guys were fit and ready to go," he continued.

"I was really surprised that we didn't get a better outcome but like I said, I was born and raised in Ghana so I'm glad that Ghana are going through.

"I don't know if I can put it into words how important it is [to the people of Ghana].

"It's so important on so many levels, for the whole country. Thursday was pretty much a national holiday in Ghana. The whole country was watching and it seems we weren't just doing it for Ghana, we were doing it for the whole of Africa."

Meanwhile, Adu has confirmed he could leave the United States to join a club abroad as soon as the end of the current MLS season.

"I will be going overseas," he added. "That's my goal, I will be going overseas."

All of Europe's top clubs have been linked with signing Adu, with Chelsea and Manchester United among the favourites to capture the starlet.

With the current MLS season well underway, Adu could be available to move to Europe during next year's January transfer window.

Source: Skysports

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)