The Official Italy WC Thread (1 Viewer)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
All news and discussion regarding the Azzurri this June in Germany should be posted within this thread.

Marcello Lippi has not yet named his final squad, and we will be awaiting his decisions in the coming days.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #5
    No problem, guys.

For reference, here were the players selected by Lippi for the first phase of training.

un altro alex said:
    Portieri (Goalies): Amelia (Livorno), Buffon (Juventus), De Sanctis (Udinese), Peruzzi (Lazio);

Difensori (Defense): Barzagli (Palermo), Bonera (Parma), Cannavaro (Juventus), Gamberini (Fiorentina),Grosso (Palermo), Nesta (Milan), Oddo (Lazio), Pasqual (Fiorentina), Zaccardo (Palermo), Zambrotta (Juventus);

Centrocampisti (Midfield): Barone (Palermo), Camoranesi (Juventus), Esposito (Cagliari), Gattuso (Milan), Liverani (Lazio), Marchionni (Parma), Pirlo (Milan), Semioli (Chievo);

Attaccanti (Attack): Del Piero (Juventus), Gilardino (Milan), Iaquinta (Udinese), Inzaghi Filippo (Milan), Lucarelli (Livorno), Tavano (Empoli), Toni (Fiorentina)

Inter and Roma players absent due to Coppa match

source: http://www.datasport.it/leggi.aspx?id=3690539
    and http://sport.virgilio.it/it/cmc/calcio/200617/cmc_95445.html

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    I don't know why It's taking time with Lippi to name his Squad. After-all It's obvious Cassan,Vieri,Diana are out, this leaves Lippi with....(Totti,Toni,Dp,Gila,Inzaghi/Lucarelli...one of them)

I don't think Midfielders and Defenders are creating headache for Lippi as much as the Inzaghi-Lucarelli thing.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
    I no he said he was taking 5 strikers, i dont know if he would consider totti a striker even though he plays that way with roma, I do know he has called up guys like Iaquinta and tavano before so you can't count them out.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
    Lippi rules out Azzurri duo Tuesday 9 May, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Italy boss Marcello Lippi has confirmed that injuries will rob him of Christian Vieri and Aimo Diana at the World Cup Finals.

The two players have been in Lippi’s plans for some time, but the tactician today acknowledged that the pair would not be named in his 23-man squad.

“I have some clear ideas and some injuries have helped me to make certain decisions,” Lippi stated on Tuesday.

“Vieri will have a knee operation and he therefore won’t be at my disposal for the tournament,” he continued.

“As for Diana, he has a major calf problem which is failing to improve and he can’t be selected for the competition either.”

Football Italia reported yesterday that Vieri, who has been sidelined for the last month with meniscus damage, would not travel to Germany 2006.

His omission from the squad has significantly increased the chances of Livorno’s Cristiano Lucarelli of making the squad.

Meanwhile, the blow to Diana has seemingly opened the door for Marco Marchionni to break back into the set-up.

Diana, who is being tipped to leave Sampdoria in the summer, is a right-sided player who can perform in both midfield and defence.

Marchionni, a winger who has already agreed to leave Parma for Juventus at the end of the season, was called up for last week’s two-day training camp.

Other contenders to replace Diana include Chievo’s uncapped Franco Semioli and Mauro Esposito of Cagliari.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #10
    snoop said:
    your team will be raped by Azzuris ;)
    We shall see about that. If Italy's past record has any bearing on the proceedings, I would not make such a comment.

Matteo..

Apr 30, 2006
    snoop said:
    your team will be raped by Azzuris ;)
    Don't quite agree. I think Italy will win, but it'll be hard fought game. The USA have improved a lot over the past few years and deserved to be in the semi-final in Japan/Korea.

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
    can we also remember that italy needs to win its group.......... Brazil got the easiest draw and they will win their group very easy, thus meaning if italy doesn't want to play brazil in the first round they will have to win their group. Second place at this point is not an option or they will have a tough first round. I think instead of the slow starts italy has had in the past in the group stage they will be dominate in this world cup.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
    I have a feeling "we" will do Good job under Lippi, he is the right man for the job. we have the players and all, all he has to do is not to play defensive, and the rest will come.

Matteo..

Apr 30, 2006
    snoop said:
    I have a feeling "we" will do Good job under Lippi, he is the right man for the job. we have the players and all, all he has to do is not to play defensive, and the rest will come.
    Yeah, I agree, Lippi's the perfect guy.

delpi25

Jul 16, 2002
    lippi is a magician! i think italy will reach the semis and its gonna take one hell of a team to stop em from there...i want italy brazil final...showcasing the two best national teams on the planet and maybe revenge for 94

Morra10

Apr 30, 2006
    delpi25 said:
    lippi is a magician! i think italy will reach the semis and its gonna take one hell of a team to stop em from there...i want italy brazil final...showcasing the two best national teams on the planet and maybe revenge for 94

I would also like that but it won't happen, i pretty sure they would play before the final. they could even play in the first round if brazil finished 2 and italy 1 or vise versa

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    thats when the real shit happens, they beat brazil, then when they go to final and its like sweden or england, they overestimate the other team..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)