The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
ITALY

Manager: Marcello Lippi
Fifa ranking: 12
Key man: Francesco Totti (Roma)
Previous World Cups: 15
Best Winners 1982, 1934 & 1938
Killer fact: Italy have lost all three of the penalty shoot-outs they have been involved in World Cup finals.

GHANA

Manager: Ratomir Duijkovic (Serbian)
Fifa ranking: 50
Key man: Michael Essien (Chelsea)
Previous World Cups: None
Killer fact: Beat Somalia 7-0 over two legs in a play-off to qualify for the group stage. Four times African Nations Cup champions - 1963, 1965, 1978, 1982.

UNITED STATES

Manager: Bruce Arena
Fifa ranking: 8
Key man: DaMarcus Beasley (PSV Eindhoven)
Previous World Cups: 7.
Best SF 1930
Killer fact: The USA have the biggest pool of players to choose from with the largest population - 290.3m. But soccer is only the fifth choice sport.

CZECH REPUBLIC

Manager: Karel Bruckner
Fifa ranking: 2
Key man: Pavel Nedved (Juventus)
Previous World Cups: 8
Best Runners-up 1934 & 1962 (as Czechoslovakia)
Killer fact: In the two finals they reached the Czechs led both times, only to finishing on the losing side.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
well my heart is with italy so i think/hope italy makes it through to the next round, its not a easy group but i trust lippi and italy should qualify. The q is ofcourse, is italy afraid of brazil, ofcourse brazil is the favourite to win the entire competition, but if italy is "afraid" then 99% is sure they have to win this group to avoide brazil.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
actually i am more worryd about the selection who will go to germany, sorry but for a good tournament some players have to get somehow injured, i dont care if on or off the pitch :p, with the likes of vieiri and materazzi playing, ghana can win italy. i just dont know what would be the reason to take vieiri to germany, about materazzi i understand in a way, though i hope nesta/canna avoide injurys. but about vieri, not. too bad he didnt decide to go with australia this time :p

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #7
    Never in a World Cup the teams played each other twice.

JRulez

Aug 1, 2005
    Italy will do well if they finally decide to shake off their defensive mentality and make the most of their fabulous attacking options, no more of this score a goal, then defend for 80 mins crap!

can see Italy and Czech qualifying but Ghana and Usa will be no pushovers.

Intro

Apr 6, 2005
    JRulez said:
    Italy will do well if they finally decide to shake off their defensive mentality and make the most of their fabulous attacking options, no more of this score a goal, then defend for 80 mins crap!

can see Italy and Czech qualifying but Ghana and Usa will be no pushovers.
    Trapattoni is no longer the coach so that will not happen :p.

Lippi has shown his intent with the Italy side from Day 1. Recent friendly performances against Ireland, Holland and then Germany show how they've prepared to beat decent European opposition in normally matches they don't try in. Italy in my opinion do go into the competition as the No.1 European contenders.

Also it will be Italy and USA who go through I think. Czech Republic have been in decline for a while now and needed Nedved out of retirement to qualify. It's Nedved, Rosicky and Baros' form that will cause their exit and the order of fixtures is not kind on them.

JRulez

Aug 1, 2005
    Intro said:
    Lippi has shown his intent with the Italy side from Day 1. Recent friendly performances against Ireland, Holland and then Germany show how they've prepared to beat decent European opposition in normally matches they don't try in. Italy in my opinion do go into the competition as the No.1 European contenders.

I agree that Lippi's Italy look good in an attacking sense but caution may set in when the serious business starts, hope not though because they're capable of great things.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #13
    I think and I hope Italy and the USA will advance from this group.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #16
    ReBeL said:
    Execuse me, but I have to go with Czech this time...
    I base my judgement and wishes in football as far as possible from politics.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #19
    Stephan said:
    just asking, why you want states? just curious, i have no problem with other choises, just curious.
    Because I like teams with young players that work as a unit and don't have a superstar that everyone's camera is directed on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)