Juan Roman Riquelme (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Juan Roman Riquelme: Un Grande De Verdad!

I have been following Juan Roman Riquelme since 1998; he is the best in the business. I also have seen over and over again many tapes of Riquelme. Since the first time, I’ve seen Riquelme; I know he was destined for greatness. If Diego Armando Maradona is the King of Argentina, I will say that the young Riquelme is the Prince of Argentina. It is unfortunate that Bielsa and company made a ridiculous decision of not choosing the great Boca superstar for this past World Cup. I can guarantee you that Riquelme would have pierced the English and the Swedish defense.

Aimar or not, Veron or not, Crespo or not, Gallardo or not, Riquelme is the top Argentine player at this moment. When coaches such as: Pasarella, Menotti, Bianchi, and many others are praising this kid, then you must realize that this Riquelme is something very special. He might not be a Maradona, but he will sure come close. For those of you who haven’t seen him, get ready to see him in Barcelona this season. This year, I will definitely be a Barca fan, the last time I was a Barca fan was when Maradona was there. Then I became a Fiorentina fan, then a Roma fan, just because of the great Batigol.

As a player, he is a classic. As a human being, he is very humble. The Real Madrid with Figo, Roberto Carlos and company still remember the ordeal they went through in the 2000 Intercontinental Cup against Boca Juniors conducted by the grand master, Juan Roman Riquelme. I know that that Michel Platini stated that he had not seen Riquelme. Well, Michel, your wish soon will come true. I know that Beckenbauer did say that he did not know much about Riquelme before the Intercontinental Cup final 2001 Boca vs Bayern Munich. Well, Riquelme almost stole the show from the team under the direction of the sensational goal keeper,Oliver Kahn. It will be a joy for those fans who like to see great football. I would always welcome a Rivaldo, a Ronaldo, a Roberto Carlos, a Totti, a Crespo, and Aimar, but I will choose a Riquelme over all of them. Some of you might think I am crazy. Well, he’ll show the world what they had missed during the World Cup. For Bielsa who caused so much pain to the Argentine fans, he must go. I will never forgive a coach who decides to leave the top South American player out of the world's greatest tournament. Thus for that reason, Bielsa should not continue as coach of the Albiceleste.

Without Riquelme, there’s no Boca; hopefully this season won’t be a nightmare for me as a Boca fan. It is not the same atmosphere when you don’t see the Boca #10 on the field. As a matter of fact, Maradona played part of his testimonial game with the Boca Riquelme #10. We all remember the great Maradona with the Boca #10. Ironically, it was Riquelme who came as a replacement for Maradona’s last game in Boca. Now, again after 20 years since Maradona joined Barcelona, Riquelme is about to bring the Nou-Camp fans on their feet. I would not mind to see Ri-Ri-Sa-Klu (Rivaldo, Riquelme, Saviola, Kluivert) attack. That would have been a deadly attack. Let Riquelme manage the midfield, and then Rivaldo, Saviola and Kluivert will produce the damage upfront. That will be a dream attack, but let’s see what will happen with Rivaldo’s issue.

This year, after a not so great World Cup as pointed by our columnist Ciro Cerretelli who by the way will join me very soon as a Cornell alumnus, I am looking forward to a great Champions League, Serie A, la Liga, Premier League and Futbol de Primera in Argentina. Since 1998 to 2002, Sunday afternoon was a joy for me because I had the time to enjoy the majestic moves of the great Juan Roman Riquelme. Like I did tell the Germans to get ready for the HuRRRicane. They thought I was joking, but Ro-Ro destroyed Kahn with great class and composure. Well it seems that we might have another hurricane in La Liga Ro-Ri-Ri, Roman-Riquelme-Rivaldo. Well, Barcelona should find away to keep Rivaldo in the team because the combination Rivaldo-Riquelme will go against the Figo-Zidane of Real Madrid. The fans would have like to see that matchup, let’s hope Gaspart finds a way to bring the joy back to Nou Camp. Keep Rivaldo there, and hopefully we won’t see a battle like the one between the two masters of Manchester United, Veron and Beckham.

For Roman, he deserves it. He gave his best to the Boca fans. He played with class and composure. Despite having been paid a minimum salary by Boca, he always played for the fans not for the Boca’s management. He conducted his life with great simplicity and he is well loved by the opponents even the River Plate fans praised him. There will not be another Riquelme in Argentine football. I always think Riquelme was a better player than Aimar, somehow Bielsa managed to put a cloud over the young talented midfielder, but this time there won’t be any more cloud since the world is about to see what they have missed in this past World Cup. Riquelme, thanks for all those great technical moves, thanks for making the fans happy. Welcome to Barcelona, and I wish you all the best. I count on you to bring the World Cup trophy 2006 back to Argentina. Too bad “Bielsa ha cortado tus piernas” You’ve played against Kahn before, so far you are 0-1 against him, but you will see him very soon. The whole world is waiting to see you!

Pierre Boisrond for worldcuparchive.com

Buy on AliExpress.com

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
Purleeze.... to compare roman with d'ale is ridiculous and barring on criminal.

D'ale.. a good player.... no more...no less
But his weaknesses are many.... physically fragile, poor vision, relies on a second creative to play off of, not overly industrious, his passing is inconsistant.... yeah he dribbles ok but how many times have you seen him go past more than one.... not very often, he doesnt have .... that something extra... virtually every time hes involved in a good move it relies on the interplay with ortega or the outstanding cavenaghi.... the real star of river.

How many times have you watched both these players??

Roman however is the real deal the complete player....
His vision is amazing, his passes..inch perfect, leadership, enthusiasm, crosses, the way he turns his man is breathtaking a guy that can single handedly turn a game in a heartbeat.....he is in short.... fvcking amazing!!!!!!!!!

His dribbling..... pick your tongue off the floor cause no one comes close, how many times have i watched him take it past 4 or even five without a care in the world..... plenty... his talent is endless...

Look at last seasons boca..... a strong ,effective side... or appeared to be!! until roman was injured and bang they lost virtually every game.... the man returns and the slick machine is instantly restored... the guy is invaluable..... he has that little thing that only a hand full of players have ever been in possesion of.... that little thing that makes you great.... a legend!!

Fvck it.... forget zz, figo, rivaldo, ronaldo et al ROMAN is the best player alive to day.... he is truely phenominal.... and mark my words with a little moment to settle in... all you doubters will grow to bare witness to his greatness over the next year or so.... and yes within 2 years he will get the golden ball and the recognition he so richly deserves!!!

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #4
    But here's a question, how would you reflect on Aimar's ability in this context? :)

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
    So am i Martin, for the first time ever i will find myself needing to watch every game of another team as well as juve this year.
    I dont even like barca but to see Roman playing in a european league is jus mouthwatering.... i cant wait!!

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
    Aimar to me is very similar to d'ale but with more maturity and experience.... he is maybe what d'ale will be.... but they are both several rungs away from Roman....

Aimar / d'ale top players...but...Roman = phenominal ..... this decades maradona , platini etc

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #7
    ++ [ originally posted by respaul ] ++
    Aimar to me is very similar to d'ale but with more maturity and experience.... he is maybe what d'ale will be.... but they are both several rungs away from Roman....

Aimar / d'ale top players.....Roman.... phenominal ..... this decades maradona , platini etc
    Aimar very much helped snatched the Liga away from Real. By all means bring on Riq!!! :D

modan

Jul 13, 2002
    aimar is still not up to standards of roman, i dont really see him dribbling past many defenders in the world cup, and i am surprised why so many people kicked up a fuss after seeing him play, saying he was the nwe maradona, i figured and figured, and i only found one reason, they havn't seen roman riquelme on the pitch!

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #13
    First of all, Real always comes second to Juve ;)

But to tell you the truth I'm happy about the news, Barcelona should be competitive with Riquelme and Mendieta and that should make it more exciting. Of course I still prefer Real to finish on top but that doesn't mean they can't work a little to get there ;)

Since they seem to be loaded and import world beaters all the time, adding to that the questionable incident with clearing their debts, they are good enough and have the resources to win, so I won't feel sorry for them if they mess up :D

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    as a barca fan, i'm thrilled with the new player signings, but when i think about the new manager i get back to earth

Evelyn8

Jul 23, 2002
    let just gets some facts straight

D'Allesandro is not leaving for less then 10 million
    Aimar left for 16 million
    Riqueleme left for 6.5 million

so that should tell you a thing or two about who is the best
    besides anybody from Argentina knows that Boca is the turbulent pet brother of River Plate.

And if Riqueleme who is supposvly so good according to you guys
    went to Barca then where was Juventus?????

if you ask Moggi he will make this valuation of the trio

Current Ability
    1. Aimar
    2. Riqueleme
    3. D'Allesandro

Potenial Ability
    1. D'Allesandro
    2. Aimar
    3. Riquelme

Biggest chance to fit into team(without upsetting staff/players)
    1. Aimar or D'Allesandro
    3. Riqueleme

Roman has had many downspells thats why Barca didn't face stiff competition from Dortmund, Leverkusen, Juventus and Inter
    who at one point or another were also interested in the Giocattori.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
    let just gets some facts straight
    those are not facts ,they are your oppinions!!

How much a player sells for has little to do with his ability...
    and in this case, where roman was valued at 20mil not so long ago, but sold for only 6 is an indication of the present economical position... not the players.

And if Riqueleme who is supposvly so good according to you guys
    Firstly, we spent far too much to cover our depts last year.... we were never gonna spend much this season..... or have you not noticed the current cash crisis in world football.
    Secondly, our relationship with boca is very sour since our last negotiations for roman a few years ago which collapsed quite bitterly.

if you ask Moggi he will make this valuation of the trio

Current Ability
    1. Aimar
    2. Riqueleme
    3. D'Allesandro

Potenial Ability
    1. D'Allesandro
    2. Aimar
    3. Riquelme
    right... this is the same man that spent months battling for his signature jus a couple of years ago.
    this is the guy that when it was confirmed barca had a pre contract earlier this season said roman was the most talented argentinian hed seen since maradonna.

biggest chance to fit into the team.....

roman by far, he is more suited to the italian game than the other 2, a player of zz's ilk, is that not what we were missing last season, the guy would drop straight in.... yeah hes a bit of a charactor but so what.... and if you read the interviews with the boca players..... they love him, theres only one person that he had problems with, unfortunately that was his boss and most of that was cause he wanted to go to europe and they refused to let him go.

aimars style of play would have trouble fitting into our team, he aint that good and every report ive read about his personality suggests hes an arsehole and not well liked.

d'ale is far too weak to play in serie a at the mo, he gets bullied of the ball all the time for river..... so much so that he has been subbed in certain matchs , and even not started in some games known to be physical.
    He is not capable on his own, he requires a creative to help him.... whereas roman can do it alone and is a great team player as well.

anyway.... each to his own!

Evelyn8

Jul 23, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by respaul ] ++

d'ale is not capable on his own, he requires a creative to help him....
    Well that is where Del Piero fits into the equation

As far as Riquelme he will get more publicity then Aimar
    since he is in a better team

But Aimar has far more grace.......

As far Riquelme transfer fee it was not 6million
    but according to soccernet
    Barca paid just over £3.8million to acquire Riqueleme
    And then they are going to add to this

I must say this financial crisis is something very positive
    it will restore the old order
    The Rome clubs will probably wait another 30 years....... :devil::devil:

And there is no doubt that even in these hard times Juve can afford players for bigger sums
    they are just being cheeky because they know the hands of the other clubs is in their hand
    Barca is in the same situation.....

But that still doesn't explain why
    Juventus Signed Salas instead of The best Striker from South America since Romario....... Saviola.

Juventus has just missed out on every Argentinan prodigy one can mention apart from D'Allesandro but I think its good both him and Romagnoli spend some more time in the Argentinan Premiership......

Anyway
    Does anyone recall the name of the player with the blonde Afro in the Argentinan Under 20 team of 2001 with D'Ale Saviola and Romagnoli.

The Blonde Guy had a Defensive Midfielder position.
    And I am not sure if He went to OM or not because I saw someone like that playing a couple of games for OM.......

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #18
    ++ [ originally posted by Evelyn8 ] ++
    Anyway
    Does anyone recall the name of the player with the blonde Afro in the Argentinan Under 20 team of 2001 with D'Ale Saviola and Romagnoli.

The Blonde Guy had a Defensive Midfielder position.
    And I am not sure if He went to OM or not because I saw someone like that playing a couple of games for OM.......
    Coloccini :) Sold or loaned to Atletico Madrid from what I recall, Milan didn't seem to want to keep him.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
    As far Riquelme transfer fee it was not 6million
    but according to soccernet
    you base your findings on soccernet..... that was a joke right.... i think i'll stick with more reliable sources.

But Aimar has far more grace.......
    sorry.. but i have to ask... how many games have you seen roman play.... whole games not highlights.... did you see every game this season??

And there is no doubt that even in these hard times Juve can afford players for bigger sums
    they are just being cheeky because they know the hands of the other clubs is in their hand
    Barca is in the same situation.....
    I think you wanna look into our finances a bit better, we are not in a great place and there are things going on that will effect us all

But that still doesn't explain why
    Juventus Signed Salas instead of The best Striker from South America since Romario....... Saviola.
    I'd quite like the answer to that one as well.....
    but then im glad cause cavenaghi is better and he will be a juve player

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #20
    I just saw some clips of Riq. He's really amazing, haven't seen a ball control like that in long time. Getting really excited here! :D Oh and damn what he did to Real in that game, out of this world. Only problem is his lack of speed seems to let him down at times.

As for Cavenaghi, damn his goals are technical!! This one is really talented too!

If you wanna see for yourself, look here:
    http://www.xtratime.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=81243

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)