Kobe Bryant drops 81 for the books (1 Viewer)

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
Apr 22, 2005
81 for the Books

Kobe Bryant achieves the second-highest point total in NBA history in Laker win, trailing only Chamberlain's 100.

Michael Jordan never did it.

Neither did Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, the league's all-time leading scorer.

Wilt Chamberlain did it … once.

Kobe Bryant carved out a piece of NBA history by scoring 81 points Sunday against the Toronto Raptors, the second-highest total ever and more than enough to lead the Lakers past the Raptors, 122-104, in front of an energized, if not disbelieving, sellout crowd of 18,997 at Staples Center.

Bryant more than doubled the 34.8 points he had been averaging, making 28 of 46 shots (60.9%) and hitting 18 of 20 free throws. He made seven of 13 three-point attempts and also had six rebounds and two assists in the come-from-behind victory.

After Bryant blew past the 60-point mark, and then breezed by the 70-point plateau, fans stood for the final part of the fourth quarter, taking photos and chanting his name again and again.

Bryant, taken out of the game with 4.2 seconds to play, went to the bench and hugged Laker Coach Phil Jackson. Public-address announcer Lawrence Tanter implored fans to save their ticket stubs from the "historic night at Staples Center."

Teammates and staff members asked Bryant to sign copies of the box score. Laker owner Jerry Buss said it was "like watching a miracle unfold." Magic Johnson called Bryant to congratulate him.
Bryant, who had 62 points before leaving the game after three quarters Dec. 20 against the Dallas Mavericks, on Sunday beat Elgin Baylor's franchise record of 71 points, set in November 1960 against New York.

Bryant's 55 second-half points also set a franchise record for points in a half, topping the 42 he had against Washington in March 2003.

The Lakers, who finished 34-48 last season, reached the midpoint of this season's schedule with a 22-19 record.

"We are going from the bottom to the top all together, so it's important for us to enjoy the journey, and that is what we are doing right now," Bryant said. "We are on a journey, and to put on a show like this for the fans here in L.A. is truly something special. I grew up in front of these people, and now they are seeing me as an older young man."

Bryant was 19 points shy of the record set by Chamberlain on March 2, 1962, in a sparsely attended game in Hershey, Pa.

"That's unthinkable," Bryant said of Chamberlain's mark. "It's pretty exhausting to think about it."
Bryant, hampered in recent weeks by a sore ankle, a balky wrist and sore hips, had 27 points in the third quarter, making 11 of 15 shots as the Lakers came screaming back from an 18-point deficit to take a 91-85 lead.

He had 28 in the fourth quarter, passing Baylor's franchise record with a 14-footer from the right side with 4:25 to play.

He then vaulted past Chamberlain's second-highest individual effort, 78 points, and into second place all-time after making the third of three free throws with 1:47 to play. Chamberlain scored 78 for Philadelphia against the Lakers in a triple-overtime game in December 1961.

Jackson, who coached Jordan and played against Chamberlain, called Bryant's performance "something to behold."

"I wasn't keeping track on what he had, and when I turned to [assistant Frank Hamblen] and said, 'I think I better take him out now,' … he said, 'I don't think you can. He has 77 points,' " Jackson said. "So we stayed with it until he hit 80."

But Jackson was also true to his team-first approach.

100 — Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia
...vs. N.Y. at Hershey, Pa., March 2, 1962.

81 — KOBE BRYANT, Lakers
...vs. Toronto, Jan. 22, 2006.

78 — Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia
...vs. Lakers, Dec. 8, 1961 (3 OT).

73 — David Thompson, Denver
...at Detroit, April 9, 1978.

73 — Wilt Chamberlain, San Francisco
...at New York, Nov. 16, 1962.

73 — Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia
...vs. Chicago, Jan. 13, 1962.

72 — Wilt Chamberlain, San Francisco
...at Lakers, Nov. 3, 1962.

71 — David Robinson, San Antonio
...at Clippers, April 24, 1994.

71 — Elgin Baylor, L.A. Lakers
...at New York, Nov. 15, 1960.

70 — Wilt Chamberlain, San Francisco
...vs. Syracuse, March 10, 1963.

Jordan

Buy on AliExpress.com

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

lol. european teams in average score about 80 points. kobe is one man army :D

Jan 7, 2004
they had a special report here on a sports tv and then at the end they show a slide called "unfair comparison" and on one side they have the stats of kobe scoring 81 in one game and on the other a raptors player scoring 80 so far in the season

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Kobe might be a better scorer, but Jordan is the overall better player by far.

Why? Because Jordan makes his teammates better.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Did Chamberlain quit at 100 intentionally? Because quitting there would even be more cool than the record itself.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Great player, yes. But any team that relies so heavily on a single person to score is pretty screwed up, IMO.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
ßömßärdiër said:
It is the LA Laker.
:lol2:

I see a name change coming.

The LA Lakers from henceforth will be known as "The LA Laker".

In the meantime, Kobe's teammates will now be referred to as "The Kobettes".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)