Leeds selling out (1 Viewer)

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
Was it just a year ago? Semifinal in Champions League, a manager who ws headhunted by Roma and Parma, players with talent that hasn't been seen since the seventies.
And now? well you can all see what is happening in the papers.
Ferdinand and Robbie Keane left last year and three players left last week and that was pure class players, except for Dacourt. Bowyer is a great player I would have loved to see him in Juventus and Fowler is still a great player but he hasn't developed to the better during the past five years.
It is really strange that Leeds haven't made results considering the amounts of money thay have spent on players. If you look at the players they have bought they are good players but they are not stars like Zidane or Davids. Many of their players had the potential to be like Harry Kewell, Jonathan Woodgate and Alan Smith but it seems players don't develop to the better in Leeds. The only player who actually became a class player was Rio Ferdinand.
They have debts of more than 100 million dollars, where is this going to end? like Fiorentina? it smells like it.
How did they put themselves in this position anyhow?
Stupid board is one reason, the one who is resposible for transfers can't be a smart guy. But that can't be the only reason, what do you think?

Buy on AliExpress.com

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
Risdale was wrong to fire O'Leary .. he was doing a magnificient job with the team .. taking them to the semifinals of the Champions League and guaranteeing a top 4 finish .. but Leeds were greedy and wanted more than that, claiming thats a top 4 is finish is not enough for them - inexperience from Risdale, since a team needs 2-3 years in the top to gain experience to fight for the title, just like Roma in Serie A - so they fired O'Leary and now they're paying the price and are fighting relegation.

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
FOWLER DEAL OFF
planetfootball.com

ROBBIE FOWLER'S £7 million move to Manchester City_has fallen through, even though the Leeds United striker is understood to have passed a medical at Maine Road.
The spectacular collapse will have serious repercussions for Leeds, scuppering the move that had been set up to bring Atletico PR midfielder Kleberson to Yorkshire.
It is a huge blow to Kevin Keegan who was so close to securing a dream strike partnership of Nicolas Anelka and Fowler in attack.
"Robbie Fowler has had time to reflect on the deal and decided it wasn't the deal for him although he was flattered by Kevin Keegan's interest," confirmed agent George Scott.
There were fears that the England international's injury troubles might block the transfer, as he had stringent medical tests with City, but the truth is that he came through those successfully.
Instead, it was a matter of personal choice by the former Liverpool star, who decided it was not the right move for him.
Although Terry Venables will be delighted to welcome Fowler back into the fold at Elland Road, the money men will be less happy, and the deal brokered to snap up Kleberson has now floundered, leaving the South American in limbo.
----------------------------------------------

Thank god!!! I'm still a City supporter! GREAT NEWS :thumb:

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
what? what's wrong with fowler? he's a gr8 players and one of the best finishers in England

btw, is Lee Fowler from Coventry his brother?

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by [DJ Juve] ] ++
what? what's wrong with fowler? he's a gr8 players and one of the best finishers in England

btw, is Lee Fowler from Coventry his brother?
Fowler is overrated and a bigger baby than Anelka. Why should Man City buy him when they already have Anelka, Huckerby and Goater? IMO he's not one of the best.

Don't think that they are brothers... not sure :confused:

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
rezeiger, the dutch defender i think...

overrated? i think he's done pretty well considering the injuries he's had. anelka on the other hand, made so much, so so much noise in Real and PSG...and what did fowler do to be considered a big baby?

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Sivori ] ++
The reason Leeds haven't made it is because 80% of their squad consists of lunatics.
:LOL:
I share the same sentiments too ditto Fahad's.

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Oded ] ++

Barcelona's dutch defender! City wanted him, but the last time i heard, he didn't want to move because they want him just on loan! s
any new updates???

It's over .. Reizeger didn't like City's offer ,,

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Now Woodgate is gone. £9 million to Newcastle. Good riddance, but the core of the team that was leeds is gone. I agree that the "rotton apples" like Woodgate and Bowyer had to go (and should have gone the moment they were arrested), but I still feel that it's all the fault of the ever-crap El Tel.

If anyone one in Italy wants him (Dacourt), I'll drive him there personally
- Terry Venables

This is an amazingly stupid statement. Dacourt's wages are high, and I can understand why the club would like to get that off their expenditure, but Tel has f*cked up horribly in two ways:
1. Dacourt is a great midfielder. His replacements (Bakke, McPhail) are good midfielders. To play them before Dacourt is a waste of talent in his playing staff.
2. By not playing Dacourt, they drive his value down, costing them money they can ill-afford to lose. A couple of years ago, Dacourt was valued (not totally unrealistically) at £15,000,000. They can knock off a zero now, and that's if they get anything for him.

Tel has switched to a 4-3-3. He just decided that, despite having two of the best wingers in England in Kewell and Bowyer (as he insisted on playing him) and an extreemly promising one in Milner, he shouldn't use them properly. Instead, while Kewell has finally become a major asset up front, he doesn't add anything more there than say Robbie Keane did, and Lee Bowyer struggled in his new role on the inside right. Also, his new-look midfield consisted of Barmby, Bakke and Bowyer. Barmby is also a winger (kind of). Certainly, he's not really a hard-tackling midfielder. So his now, with his stupid handling of Dacourt, Tel is left with no midfielders who can both tackle and pass. Naturally, and attacking guru like him has decided on the latter, at the expense of the former, so Leeds have to rely on the back-line and keeper to stop their defensive record from becomming a joke.

Back-line: Sold Rio. Profit: £15million. Cool. Now, to replace him. What do you mean there's no money? We just got £15 million cash. Woodgate? F*ck Woodgate - off to Newcastle if possible. Besides who's going to partner him? Radabe? He's a great defender, but gets injured when he turns corners. While driving his car. Matteo? Okay. let's settle on Matteo and Woodgate. Not too happy with this, and zero quality cover, but maybe it'll hold. Provided we have good full-backs. The right is fine. Mills is a bit of a thug, but he's a good defender, and Gary Kelly might not be the player he was, but he's still good enough to start, let alone cover. Then we get to the left. Harte? Great World Cup he had - substituted in every game, finally ending in the ignomy of missing a penalty against Spain. His form hasn't recovered, or at least, it hasn't recovered enough, and his attacking play no longer justifys his selection. So, options? Dom Matteo? For heaven's sake, there's only one of him. And he's not that good to begin with.

Speaking of the World Cup, Robbie Keane had a great one, scoring against Saudi Arabia, Germany (90th minute equaliser) and Spain (89th minute equaliser). On form, suitable for the new right-forward role, or even the centre-forward one. Worth a bit of money.
Bought for £12,000,000. Sold for £6 million. To Spurs of all teams.
Robbie Fowler. Bought for £11,000,000, sold for £6 million

So, what's left of the forwards? Viduka, Kewell, Smith and Bridges - to play a three-pronged attack. Bridges has spent most of the past two years injured and, being injured for the rest of the season, looks set to continue the trend. Smith has spent most of his career suspended. Viduka has spent his Leeds career overweight. And Kewell has spent his whole club career as as winger. Looks promising, I'm sure you'll agree.

And, last but not least, to the keepers. Two good ones. But why the hell is Martyn, who's on £40k/week, still at the club? He should have been let go long ago.

Leeds are a club in deep financial @!#$. They have a squad that was thin to begin with, and which stupidity at the chairman's level has only made worse. To make matters worse, the manager ignores his best players, plays them out of position, or sells them. And his new formation appears to be just that - a formation, because the players don't seem to have the foggiest how to play it.

At least Smith seems to care.

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
Great post mikhail .. are you a Leeds fan ?? Coz you seem to know/care much about them ..

I've read somewhere that the fans are very frustrated at Risdale and Terry .. they hung a 'For Sale' banner on a staute of a legend player who once played at Leeds but can't remember his name ..

Risdale's last words after his press conference clarifying Woodgate's sale to Newcastle were:

Whatever the future holds I will always be a Leeds fan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)