interesting article about azzurri (1 Viewer)

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
After a disappointing Euro 2004 in which Trapattoni’s second chance failed to produce any result, the Italian Federation had enough and appointed Marcello Lippi as the new head coach. There were turbulent times at first he did not agree to their demand as he wanted his own technical staff and higher pay. Secondly, there were people from within who wanted Capello, or a foreigner with a proven track record like Erickson or Scolari. The Italian Federation wanted results and were willing to dish out the dough to get it. In the end however, Lippi and the FIGC, agreed to mutual terms and the ex Juve coach became the new manager in the revolving door of Italian soccer. Italy no doubt has the players and talent that can take out any team period no matter what the pundits say. Like it or not if the real Azzurri show up, they could give a soccer clinic to anyone. But the question was: Could Marcello do it? Could he be the one to lead Italy to the World Cup that has been away from Rome for so long or would he be next on the list to be shown the door?

Few coaches have been successful with the Azzurri. Sacchi, Zoff, Valcareggi (he did win a Euro Championship), coming close as Pozzo and Berazot have delivered the ultimate prize. Many have failed from: Fabbri, Mazza, Ferrari, Vicini, Maldini, Trapattoni and so forth. One night at the bar sipping a Becks with a buddy of mine that is passionate about Italian soccer and barrages me with requests, we debated on the appointment. He mentioned that Lippi was just a lucky coach and if his Champions League record is nothing to boast about. I agreed, but I also mentioned that it takes skill to take Juventus four times to a CL final and be only the second man in history to achieve four CL finals is nothing to be disappointed about. Moreover, he won many Scudetti with Juventus, did well at Napoli and like many other coaches failed at Inter. However, he was bang on in the assessment of Inter: spoilt children as he called them. Well, according to many critiques, Inter players are seen as such, for Moratti is one of the few owners that pays the players on time and large salaries. Really does Recoba need to be paid so much to warm a bench? Yes, he is no Capello that wins where he goes, or as successful as Trapattoni, but the Trap has had a successful managerial career just winning the Portuguese title last year with Benfica. On the other hand, his Azzurri experience has been a dismal flop. Dino Zoff had only a UEFA Cup top his name and he led a sublime Italy to near glory. Moreover, he developed the team’s foundations giving Trapattoni and his successor Lippi many options. It is no doubt in my mind if Zoff chose to stay he would have won something. In short, Lippi had the qualifications and was the right man for the job. He is a good communicator as he knows when to scream at a player and when to give constructive criticism.

Well Lippi was given the mandate by the FIGC to do the near impossible: win or be fired. Many journalists pondered what would he do. Yes he wanted a World Cup which coach doesn’t? He mentioned that all players would be considered for the team. Good, but we were waiting for the first game under his tutelage. It was a flop. Italy lost to Iceland. “Don’t be alarmed” as Rush Limbaugh would say. It is only a friendly and the Azzurri never show up for them and Lippi always loses his first games. It was just a honeymoon period. The knives were sharpened but not out. World Cup qualifying was quickly approaching. Italy had an easy group. However, that is no precursor for qualification. The honeymoon period was over and the results had to come. It was time for the Paul Newman of Italian soccer to prove his worth.

Well Italy was winning their games when it mattered during qualification. Italy won their first game 2-1 vs. Norway. The good times rolled in the 2nd game as they beat Moldova 1-0. But Lippi’s men hit a road block as they lost to Slovenia 1-0 and they squeaked by Belarus 4-3 in a thrilling encounter. The critiques were out: “Lippi has not found the right combination; Lippi is too defensive, he changes formations all the time, he is confused” and so forth. However, as time went on Italy beat Scotland 2-0 and no team could capitalize on Italy’s blunders. They were not out of danger as the next games ended in ties and Norway was nipping at their cleats. World Cup qualification was at stake. The classic Azzurri showed up though. They recovered in style from the late tie against Scotland and they won their last three games with one game to spare. The team was united, disciplined and the youth players were holding their own. New additions such as Toni were on fire and the often criticized Del Piero was showing his worth along with other veterans.

All in all this was a good start. Italy qualified and Lippi had many options to choose from. Critiques chastised him on the selection process, but really. How can you blame Marcello when Italy has so much talent? If I were the coach I would experiment too. However, friendly games were around the corner and Italy had to face Van Basten’s Holland. A team that was undefeated for over a year, defeating their old foes in the Czech Republic and had young and vibrant team with veterans who were experienced. There were many who figured that this could have been a Euro 2000 match in which Italy would revert to their defensive shell. In addition, which Italy would show up? The Azzurri that is capable of producing great feats or the one that does care much for friendlies? I betted on the latter, but I am no fool. If the real Italy could show up the Oranje would be in for a long night.

Lippi stated that this time things would be different. Italy would attack and bring the game to Holland and victory at all costs was the objective. I had many an email stating the impotent Italian attack would never penetrate the Dutch defense and Toni would be held and the Italian defense would buckle. However, I stated let us watch and see.

Well many watched the game and what we saw was a soccer clinic. Lippi’s men gave Holland a lesson in offensive football and the defense had no response to Gilardino, Toni nor to Del Piero’s or incursions from the flanks. Yes in the first half, the game was balanced as both sides played fluid football. Holland had the edge on the left flank but was contained in other parts of the field. Italy struck first but the goal was disallowed. Then the Oranje scored and it seemed that the loss suffered at Euro 2000 would be vindicated.

However, Italy did not sit back. They played a Brazil style. They conceded a goal, but they pushed up for the equalizer. They got it. Goals by Gilardino and Toni set out nay notion of a come back. Italy was the better team and the Amsterdam crowd watched in awe. Lippi outwitted Van Basten and it was evident that the Juve spirit: never say never was instilled to this team. The Azzurri shirts did their job as they did not suffer from impotence that day (pardon the pun). The Italian media was happy and the Lippi factor was beginning to take shape. Italy was not a farce but a team to be reckoned with. A couple of days later they played the Ivory Coast. They tied 1-1 and many would say that they played well one game to regress the next. However, the game was interesting the Italians played well and they recovered late in the game to tie. They were not afraid to concede. They pushed up and got the goal. They also scored in injury time but the referee did not see it (hmmm… I hope this will not continue in June).

All in all Italy are out and about. They are playing well and they are united. Now Lippi has to focus on winning the first three games in June and hope that Toni and Gilardino and the whole team stays healthy. If the Azzurri stay healthy then Lippi’s Dream to win the WC could bear fruit. And Berlin could be the Paradise city.

Bruno Cardile

Buy on AliExpress.com

Tino

Il Tedesco
Feb 1, 2005
nice info!

edit:
when I read the thread-headline I thought it will be an article about our azzurri7..

:)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
The bit about Holland is complete bollocks.

"Lippi outwitted Van Basten"

What was it? A world cup final? It was a friendly. Van Basten had the following line-up:
Edwin van der Sar, Giovanni van Bronckhorst, Jan Kromkamp, Joris Mathijsen, Ron Vlaar, Denny Landzaat, Phillip Cocu, Rafael van der Vaart, Dirk Kuyt, Romeo Castelen, Ryan Babel

That's a *very* experimental line-up, which was exactly Van Basten's idea; to just throw some new players to the lions and see if it would work. It had a very low chance of succeeding and indeed it failed. If Toni would have failed to get past the 20 year old Ron Vlaar who had about a dozen Eredivisie games in his bag, it would've been a downright disgrace, let's face it.

Add to that the fact that the Dutch are notorious chokers in friendly games and that particular friendly has *no* value whatsoever when judging Lippi.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Touchy, aren't we, Erik? :D

But you're right. A lot was read into that match like it really mattered, when it obviously did not.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
swag said:
Touchy, aren't we, Erik? :D

But you're right. A lot was read into that match like it really mattered, when it obviously did not.
Well it's true; the match on Euro2000 perfectly displayed our weaknesses and the Azzurri's strengths but that wasn't the case with this friendly at all.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
it was a good article...

lets hope that Lippi is prepared, as well as our players, for a tough first round of games

OP
Stephan

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
  • Thread Starter #11
    ....Well Lippi was given the mandate by the FIGC to do the near impossible: win or be fired. Many journalists pondered what would he do. Yes he wanted a World Cup which coach doesn’t? He mentioned that all players would be considered for the team. Good, but we were waiting for the first game under his tutelage. It was a flop. Italy lost to Iceland. “Don’t be alarmed” as Rush Limbaugh would say.....

if he wont win it....they will sack him? lets say, if italy gets to top4? 3th place? I know azzuri fans want that titel, but if we look how we have done in two previous tournaments(wc2002 and euro2004) with trap.....then 4 place wouldnt be that bad.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)