Captain Keane leaves United (1 Viewer)

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Captain Keane leaves United

Manchester United captain Roy Keane has left his club of the last twelve years official sources said on Friday. He leaves Old Trafford by mutual consent and with immediate effect. Whilst news of the Irishman's departure may not come as a surprise, the timing of it will.

United manager Alex Ferguson has made no secret of his desire to find a replacement for the ageing star, but fans will be shocked to see the Irishman leave so soon and during the season.

"Manchester United has today reached agreement with Roy Keane for Roy to leave the club with immediate effect," the club said in a statement.

"The agreement allows Roy to sign a long-term deal with another club to enable him to secure his playing career beyond what would have been the end of his contract at United in the summer."

Keane has stated that he will not play for another English club, opening the doors to speculation that he will head to Celtic or to Dublin to manage the Irish national team.

Keane's decision ends twelve successful years in Manchester under the management of Alex Ferguson. The fiery pair have always enjoyed a good relationship, but Keane's outburst on the official Manchester United station in a programme which was eventually pulled by his manager, is said to have been the cause of some friction between the two.

HONOUR AND PRIVILEGE

Despite this, Keane leaves on seemingly good terms with United, and his potential candidature as an eventual successor to Ferguson should not be dismissed.

"It has been a great honour and privilege for me to play for Manchester United for over 12 years," said Keane on United's official website.

"During my time at the club, I have been fortunate to play alongside some of the best players in the game and in front of the best supporters in the world. At all times, I have endeavoured to do my best for the management and the team.

"Whilst it is a sad day for me to leave such a great club and manager, I believe that the time has now come for me to move on. After so many years, I will miss everyone at the club.

"I send my best wishes for the future to the management, players, staff and supporters of the club."

TRIBUTES

The tributes have begun flooding in for Keane, one of the most inspirational midfielders Old Trafford has ever seen.

"Roy Keane has been a fantastic servant for Manchester United, " said his manager Alex Ferguson in a statement on Friday.

"The best midfield player in the world of his generation, he is already one of the great figures in our club's illustrious history.

"Roy has been central to the success of the club in the last 12 and a half years and everyone at Old Trafford wishes him well in the rest of his career and beyond."

United's chief executive, David Gill, has also stepped up to lavish Keane with praise.

"Roy has been a towering figure at the club for over a decade," said Gill.

United are set to offer Keane a testimonial to thank the Irishman for his services over the past twelve years.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #2
    • V

V

one of the best midfielders, the best leader of any team, a true legend.

OP
    V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #4
    • V

V

no mutual termination of contract started immediately. so he's a free agent now. even we can sign him :)

OP
    V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #10
    • V

V

don't ya think that's a little too soon. ;)

OP
    V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #19
    • V

V

yeah that's be great. still paddy would kick his :weee: ass!!! :D :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)