RIP "Il Proffesore" (1 Viewer)

ebraheej

Jul 16, 2002
The Italian football world was in shock last night when former Genoa Coach Franco Scoglio died of a heart attack on live television.

The tactician was in the midst of a telephone debate with current club patron Enrico Preziosi on local station Primo Canale when he collapsed. The transmission was immediately suspended and paramedics called, but they could not resuscitate him.

The 64-year-old was a legend in the Italian game and had perhaps his greatest success at his beloved Genoa, a side he took from Serie B to the top flight in the late 1980s. In recent years Scoglio – known as Il Professore – had been heavily involved in African football and Coached both the Tunisian and Libyan national sides.

He returned to Genoa in February 2001, leaving Tunisia on the verge of qualifying for the World Cup, rescuing them from relegation. His other experiences in Italy were at Reggina, Messina, Bologna, Udinese, Lucchese, Pescara, Torino, Cosenza, Ancona and most recently Napoli.

“He was having a civil debate with Preziosi and it was an exchange of opinions between two passionate people,” explained Primo Canale director Mario Paternostro. “The presenter noticed there was a problem and terminated the programme immediately. Medics intervened, but there was nothing we could do. Scoglio had asked to be on the show to discuss Genoa, a side he had always supported.”

Thousands of Genoa fans flocked to the Primo Canale studios last night to pay their respects and tributes have been flooding in.

“I am distraught,” said Livorno President Aldo Spinelli, who was in charge of Genoa during Scoglio’s reign. “This man had the Genoa colours in his soul. He was a genuine person who would tell you exactly what he thought. This is a tragedy.”

Former Rossoblu striker Thomas Skuhravy added, “This is just incredible and I can’t believe it. I only spoke to him a month ago and it’s a terrible blow. I was only with him for 18 months, but it was enough to know a great man and someone who really understood football. He was Il Professore.”

Channel4

RIP, I just saw two days ago on Al Jazeera talking about the Juve game, he seemed fine back then..

Buy on AliExpress.com

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++
For a moment I thought something had happened to Pessotto. :stress:

RIP, btw.
I was going to post that before I saw yours :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)