Chess puzzles to solve! (4 Viewers)

Aug 1, 2003
Hi all,

I dont know if chess falls under "sports"; but its not exactly a computer game either. Anyway, chess is one of the - if not the only - game that I really love to play on a daily or weekly basis, so if there's anyone who has the same interest, perhaps you could solve the chess puzzles I'll be giving or maybe post some of yours? I'll be posting my ratings for the chess puzzles that Im giving out as I'll be doing them first :D GET YOUR CHESS SETS READY!

I'll begin today's chess puzzle:

Ratings: Quite easy

Black to play. This position is from the game Yusupov-Kasparov, Riga, Latvia, 1995. Here Kasparov found a quiet move that quickly gained a decisive material advantage. What did he play?

The positions:

White: Pawn b2, pawn c3, rook h1, king g2, pawn f2, bishop f3, pawn e4, pawn g3, pawn g5, queen e8

Black: Rook a7, queen b7, pawn b5, pawn c4, pawn e6, bishop e7, pawn f7, king g7, pawn g6, pawn h5

Enjoy! Solutions will be given later.

Buy on AliExpress.com

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
Black to play...

White: Pawn b2, pawn c3, rook h1, king g2, pawn f2, bishop f3, pawn e4, pawn g3, pawn g5, queen e8

Black: Rook a7, queen b7, pawn b5, pawn c4, pawn e6, bishop e7, pawn f7, king g7, pawn g6, pawn h5

OP
sallyinzaghi
Aug 1, 2003
  • Thread Starter #4
    No, the puzzles Im giving (which I get daily from Herald Tribune, subscribed to it specifically for that!) are usually not something like mate-in-one that kind of stuff. The clue to this one is "material advantage"

Pretty easy, no, Mikhail, this one?

Shoryuken

Jan 7, 2005
    WARNING SPOILER!

I must be missing something but all i can see is Black Bishop to G5 taking whites pawn. I will look at it some more because i dont think it could be that simple.

Edit, Of course. I see it now. This move will earn 3 point minimum for black if white playes it correctly.

This was easy, i just got a little confused with the naked pawn standing there.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    I wish I had more time for Chess.

But no, I have calculus and chemistry to complete, two despicable and good-for-nothing subjects conceived by people with too much time on their hands.

OP
    sallyinzaghi
    Aug 1, 2003
  • Thread Starter #9
    Ah, well, once you figure out the move you should also figure out what white will do and so forth.

So, the answer:

1 .... Ra8! (CORRECT!) [Pretty easy no?] traps the White queen. White's only defense is 2 e5 when 2 .... Qxf3 + 3 Kxf3 Rxe8 leaves Black a piece ahead with an easy win (hence material advantage)

NEXT PUZZLE

Ratings: Easy (they gave away too many clues)

Black to play. This position is from the game Evans-Staunton, London, 1845. Although the black queen is threatened on c6, he still has an opportunity to give a powerful discovered check. What is his best move?

The positions:

White: Rook a1, king h1, pawn b2, queen c2, pawn h2, bishop e3, pawn c4, knight a5

Black: Knight f3, bishop g4, pawn a6, queen c6, pawn g7, pawn h7, rook f8, king g8

/usr/bin

Excellent
    Mar 6, 2005
    ++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
    I wish I had more time for Chess.

But no, I have calculus and chemistry to complete, two despicable and good-for-nothing subjects
    ..except of course to make important calculations, and combining elements in experiments to create what we take for granted in this world.. ;)

Shoryuken

Jan 7, 2005
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    NEXT PUZZLE

Ratings: Easy (they gave away too many clues)

Black to play. This position is from the game Evans-Staunton, London, 1845. Although the black queen is threatened on c6, he still has an opportunity to give a powerful discovered check. What is his best move?

The positions:

White: Rook a1, king h1, pawn b2, queen c2, pawn h2, bishop e3, pawn c4, knight a5

Black: Knight f3, bishop g4, pawn a6, queen c6, pawn g7, pawn h7, rook f8, king g8
    SPOILING HINT!!

Black mates in either 4 or 5 depending on whites play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)