Greatest ever sportsmen (1 Viewer)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
I would love to hear differing opinions on whom you guys think should be regarded as the greatest

I have so many heroes but I always put these 3 ppl at the top of the tree in their given profession

In no particular order

1 Muhammed Ali definitely to me, the greatest boxer I ever did see and one of the very best sportsmen period

2 Diego Armando maradona ,To my mind the most naturally gifted footballer ever

3 Michael jordan, in his pump absolutely fantastic

Other notable mentions are Sugar Ray Leonard, Pele, Magic Johnson, Carl lewis, jesse Owens, Marion Jones,Tiger Woods, Michael Schumacher and Michael Johnson

Buy on AliExpress.com

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Michael Schumacher only wins because he drives Ferrari. I'd like to see him in one of the crap cars that fails every single race!

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
Erik... is this your hate for germans talking again???
Schumacher is a great driver, probably the best ever...

What you are saying would be the same as "Del Piero is only good cuz he plays for Juve."

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
What I'm saying is that Michael Schumacher would have a hard time winning prices like that if he drove another car or if everyone else drove the same car as he!

He's good, I won't deny, but overrated because he has such an EXCELLENT vehicle!

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
In F1 its not about the driver alone. It's a team sport. There's the driver, the car, the mechanics and so on... and all theese things gotta work togheter. Just like a football team.

So It would be like saying that if Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo, Del Piero, Beckham, Rivaldo, Inzaghi and so on... where to play for crappy teams they would all suck.

I think that M. Schumacher could do great in a BMW-Williams as well...

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Karlberg ] ++
In F1 its not about the driver alone. It's a team sport. There's the driver, the car, the mechanics and so on... and all theese things gotta work togheter. Just like a football team.

So It would be like saying that if Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo, Del Piero, Beckham, Rivaldo, Inzaghi and so on... where to play for crappy teams they would all suck.

I think that M. Schumacher could do great in a BMW-Williams as well...
Are you saying that the driver is not on his own during the race when it REALLY matters? Is he not the one steering?

The Ferrari 'factory' & team provide GREAT cars, it's a team efford to that extend. Now I would like to see what happened if someone else drove it.

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
Schumacher actually won the championship with some other car once... can't remember which one...

Yes, he's the one steering, and yes he's alone in the car. But you are implying that any idiot could jump in to a Ferrari and win everything.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Schumacher actually won the championship with some other car once... can't remember which one...
The Benneton

Yes, he's the one steering, and yes he's alone in the car. But you are implying that any idiot could jump in to a Ferrari and win everything.
Not any idiot but I'm sure that if he would switch places with say, Eddie Irvine, Jacques Villeneuve or even Jos Verstappen he might find it A LOT more difficult to win races.

My point is that, contrary to public opinion, a large part of Schumi's success comes from the fact that he drives a Ferrari. I'm not implying he's a bad driver, not at all!

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
My oldest brother was in Belgium this year to watch the grand prix. He works for BMW, and where invited to the pit to watch the race.

RALF Schumacher and Montoya where interesting, but he couldn't take his eyes of Michael Schumacher. He was superior to all... While everyone was working hard on their lap times, Michael was chilling and talking to his fans and right before the time was up, he jumped in to his Ferrari and set the best lap time.

You have got to be an fantastic driver to do something like that!

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Well no, not really. You just need to have steel nerves and a 67 point advantage for that...

But I'll admit his driving impresses even me at times!

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
...and he is the best paid sportsman in the world. Don't think that they would be throwing all of that money at him, if they could get someone else to do the job.

.AB.

Mafioso
Jul 15, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Shadowfax ] ++
You so easily forget how schumy won the world championship in a benneton which was far from being the best car!!
it was the best car at the time

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by abhinav ] ++

it was the best car at the time
Oh... this is getting stupid!
Of course it was the best car at the time, if he won with it!!!

Doesn't mean that he a bad driver!!!
Did you ever think that maybe with Schumacher in the car it becomes the best?

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Oh... this is getting stupid!
Of course it was the best car at the time, if he won with it!!!

Doesn't mean that he a bad driver!!!
Never implied such a thing.

Did you ever think that maybe with Schumacher in the car it becomes the best?
Was it not you who suggest Formula 1 was team-efford? ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)