Say WHAT? - Woody's Debut A REAL Sensation! (1 Viewer)

Jan 7, 2004
Jonathan Woodgate made a huge impact on his long-awaited Real Madrid debut, scoring a spectacular own goal and then being sent off against Athletic Bilbao.

In the first half Woodgate, 25, stooped to clear a Joseba Etxeberria shot but only succeeded in heading the ball past goalkeeper Iker Casillas.

And Woodgate was then dismissed after 65 minutes for collecting a second yellow card.

Despite being reduced to ten mem, Real went on to win comfortably, beating Bilbao 3-1 with goals from Brazilian Robinho and two from their captain, Raul.

Woodgate's first yellow card was brandished when he lunged at Bilbao midfielder Carlos Gurpegi just before half time..

The second booking was for fouling Etxeberria.

Aftewards, the former Leeds United and Newcastle defender, out of action for 18 months, admitted: "It was not the best start in the world."

Regarding the own goal, he said: "I couldn't believe it. I went to try to block the ball and it just skimmed off my head. Obviously, I did not want to get an own goal."

And on the sending-off, he added: "I just can't believe I got sent off. I didn't think the second yellow card was right, you know, but it's the referee's decision.

"I want to thank the public, who were brilliant when I was walking off. They were all clapping and cheering."

It was Woodgate's first competitive match since tearing a thigh muscle in a Premiership game against Chelsea on 25 April 2004. He had been due to make his debut for Real last October but suffered a recurrence of the injury in a training game.

At least the England international came through his debut without reaction to the injury. "Physically I felt good," he said. "My leg was no problem and I felt strong."

And he promised: " I will come back stronger."

Buy on AliExpress.com

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by axlrose85 ] ++
what a mofo:rofl:
England's best naturally talented defender when he's back on form. He hasn't played for over a year.. what did you expect a hat-trick?

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by axlrose85 ] ++
what a mofo:rofl:
Why exactly ?

what do you expect from someone who hasnt played in 17 months ?

He made a couple of mistakes, what else would you expect ?

Woody , when he finds his feet is an outstanding defender

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
the fact that he stayed double the time he was supposed to stay on injury should have meant something
what do you mean supposed to.. is there a set time out for each different injury now ?

Mar 6, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
wasnt he supposed to come and play 4 months after real bought him
Yes, but Real, being the managerial geniuses that they are, rushed him through his recovery, and then he got injured again..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)