Limiting Foreigners in Local League? (1 Viewer)

Geof

May 14, 2004
Belgium just lost in Bosnia (1-0 goal by Barbarez) and is very likely to miss its first World Cup since 1978.

One of the main reasons behind it (except traditional ones: coach, lack of motivations, ref, bad pitch,...) is the fact that there are too many foreigners playing in the Belgian league aka Jupiler League.

The argument is tha signing (cheaper) foreigners blocks our own youth, and thus prevents young players to get experience and eventually making it to the NT.

The only good players often leave to foreign clubs where they are too often subs (ex: Sonck, Buffel, Pieroni, Van Damme,...)

Meanwhile, in Belgium clubs like Beveren field 11 foreigners on the pitch. Mostly Ivorians that are brought on the cheap and paid peanuts. How can a local guy hope to get to that first team? His wage will be higher, and most of all: the cost of training him to a first teamer will be much higher than bringing an Ivorian.
Conclusion: we lose most of the potential talent we got.

Counter argument: 1. It's cheap, but most of the clubs are poor and only survive by these kind of deals.
2. The real talents make it to first team football, some great guys emerged in the last years: Kompany, Vanden Borre, Proto, Buffel, Daerden,....

My opinion on this matter is that we should limit foreigners in the league (say minimum 5 or 6 belgians on the field), with helping clubs a lot more financially. There is something now like a formation compensation, giving the formation club X% of the next transfer of their player (ex: Diest is suying PSV for the formation compensation of Timmy Simmons). This system is good, but small clubs only breed such players only once in 40 years, so they need more...

The basic idea is to allow foreigners, but only the better ones. Guys like Wilhelmsson, Conceiçao, Akin, and now Portillo help to improve the level, and are needed.
The thing is to stop average foreigners to block young belgians.

I was talking about Belgium, but this dicussion applies to any league. Of course guys like Nedved, Zlatan or Thuram help a team like Juve, and raise their performances, but wouldn't it be better to have a young Italian instead of the likes of Zebina, Kovac, or Oliveira?

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Geof

Geof

May 14, 2004
  • Thread Starter #9
    ++ [ originally posted by Bürke ] ++
    He thinks he is supperior because he has his own waffles.
    :groan: I was really thinking this could be an interesting discussion...

++ [ originally posted by Geof ] ++
    I was talking about Belgium, but this dicussion applies to any league. Of course guys like Nedved, Zlatan or Thuram help a team like Juve, and raise their performances, but wouldn't it be better to have a young Italian instead of the likes of Zebina, Kovac, or Oliveira?

:fero::fero: Forget about Belgium. This applies to any country!!!!!!!

Manuel

Aug 8, 2003
    I hope it's a rule that soon will exist in Belgium. I mean a Belgian team playing with 11 foreigners is well, how do call that, disgraceful, not really but it comes kinda close. So to have a minimum of 6 Belgians on the field seems to be good, but they might want to put in a rule that says atleast 2 or 3 players on the playerslist have to from your youth training. That will make sure that youth players get their chance.

It even could be a good rule in all leagues, I mean how many english players are there on the field if arsenal is playing. Even Juve has only 4 italian players on the pitch in what seems to be our first choice team.

And btw if there's something we Belgians have to feel superior about it's our beer and chocolate. :devil::D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Andy thinks our chocolate tastes and looks like shit.

But I think he got fooled by some guy and ate actual shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)