Legend Maldini may quit (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Legend Maldini may quit
Thursday 1 September, 2005
Milan veteran Paolo Maldini has admitted that he is seriously thinking about bringing his stunning career to an end.

The 37-year-old still has two years left on his Rossoneri contract, but he accepts the fact that he could retire before that date.

"I have thought about quitting," explained the central defender. "It is only natural to do so at my age."

The former left-back, Italy’s most capped player, has spent the last 20 years with the San Siro giants but concedes things are becoming increasingly difficult for him.

"I pondered retiring last year when I renewed my contract with Milan," continued the stopper.

"The same thing happened at the start of this season. I did think that having six weeks off would do me good but the situation has in fact worsened.

"There are highs and lows in which a lot of thoughts enter my head. The thing that allows me to continue though is my body, I still feel in very good shape."

Maldini, who is currently nursing a slight knee problem, added that he wants to quit at the top rather than in the shadows.

"When I do stop playing, I want it to be while I am still a first team regular," he underlined.

"That is not because I wouldn’t accept a place on the bench but it is because I have spent my whole career as a first team player."

Maldini says he will play on for now but he can’t guarantee what will happen in the immediate future.

"My situation will be evaluated month after month," he continued. "My contract expires in 2007 but I may not reach that date.

"It is not my intention to just carry on playing for the sake of it."

Maldini’s comments come just hours after teammate Gennaro Gattuso said he considered leaving Milan because of the pressure.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
What he's actually saying is that he will quit this summer if gets relegated to the bench. Which is only fair in my opinion, he has played for more then 20 years in the first team after all.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
i dont know if it will be for the better of milan or not.
they will never be able to replace maldini.
he's done for them what not even players like raul and yes..maybe even del piero did for their clubs.

maldini is the ultimate milan man.
i hope he has a brilliant season before he retires.

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Bürke ] ++
This is crazy.

Milan have to have the oldest defense ever.

Maldini - 36/37
Stam - 33/34
Cafu - 35

Plus you have Costacurta, and Kaladze, who are up there themselves.
Kaladze is only 27 or something. But you are right, Milan were idiots to buy Stam. Not only did it screw up their 4-3-1-2 tactic, now they must rejuvenate their entire defense next summer.

Dr-Juve

Mar 11, 2004
Maldini is one of the best italian players not in milan only but in the whole world and i think he is already among the best 100s in the football history

He is Milans legend

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
He should definitely quit on a high, and not fade away and end up going to Qatar and then making a comeback at Bolton or something.It has to happen sooner or later, and I reckon next summer won't be too early, depending on how his season goes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)