Collina shock as he quits! (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Collina shock as he quits!
Monday 29 August, 2005
Referee Pierluigi Collina has blown the final whistle on his career by announcing his shock retirement following a sponsorship row.

The official, widely regarded as the world’s best, quit the Italian Referees’ Association and subsequently the Italian game this morning.

"After 28 years, I have decided to hand in my resignation," said the man in black. "It is something that I could not avoid.

"There would have been no problem for me to work in Serie B but it would have been useless to carry on when there is no faith in you.

"If a referee is not believed then it is only right that he leaves, that is why I am going. At the end of the day I think everybody is losing out."

Collina has decided to walk despite getting special clearance to continue for one more year – after reaching the maximum age of 45.

However, Collina courted controversy this summer after signing a sponsorship deal with car manufacturers Opel – the same company who back Milan.

That raised a conflicts of interests issue and Collina was not assigned any of the opening round of Serie A matches.

It was thought that he would be demoted to the Serie B championship until Monday’s shock announcement.

Collina also insisted that Tulio Lanese, head of the Association, was aware of the whole situation.

"Lanese knew everything about the contract," continued the Viareggio referee. "He even congratulated me on it."

Whispers now suggest that Collina, who took charge of the 2002 World Cup Final, may now work abroad – with the Premiership a possible destination.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Max

Jul 15, 2003
I don't understand this. Just because Opel happens to sponsor Milan and Collina, he isn't able to officiate anymore? That's bullshit. It's just like saying that no Italian referee can officiate a Roma match because their technical sponsors (Diadora for both) coincide.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
About time... Most over rated ref in history...

Whilst undoubtedly a great international or euro ref... Anyone that follows serie a knows hes heavily biased and inconsistent on a weekly basis

The Pado

Filthy Gobbo
Jul 12, 2002
Good news for Juventus, as the thief from Viareggio will no longer fvck us.

It's well known that Juve, Milan and Inter get special treatment from the refs, but Collina built his career on screwing Juve to give himself a false image of impartiality.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
The Italian Association of Referees (AIA) have revealed that they intend to reject the resignation of Pierluigi Collina.

The official quit the AIA on Monday following a conflict of interests row, which erupted after he signed a sponsorship deal with Opel - a company who also support Milan.

"His departure is a surprise," stated AIA chief Tullio Lanese. "We will turn down his resignation and inform Collina of that decision. We’ll then see what happens.

"I want him to stay within the association even if he doesn’t referee matches anymore. He can keep his contract but I want him to still be a part of our team.

"I still have great admiration for Collina as a man and a referee. However, I will repeat that there are rules in place and they have to be respected."

Italian Football Federation chief Franco Carraro commented: "We are saddened by Collina’s resignation.

"Collina is a valuable resource for not only the AIA but also for Italian football. We’ll see what happens over the next few days."

Inter President Giacinto Facchetti is also disappointed that the world’s best referee has opted to walk away.

"We are losing a referee who could have been precious in a difficult championship with so many important games," he said. "Collina has always been regarded as the best on the planet.

"I don’t feel that it is right for me to make a judgement in this case. But it does seem to me that there are a number of conflict of interest issues in the game already."

Italy boss Marcello Lippi has urged his fellow Viareggio resident to reconsider his decision.

"I hope that he changes his mind and that he can continue to do the good work he has always done," he stated. "I never expected this to happen."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)