did del piero ACTUALLY fill baggio's shoes? (At Juve) (1 Viewer)

OP
HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #2
    personally..i dont think alex filled the void left by baggio on the pitch.he never managed to come up to the level that was expected of baggio's heir to the throne.

OP
    HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #6
    lets look at their entire juventus careers..
    baggio was signed in 1990 and he left in 1995 if im not wrong..
    del piero was signed in 1994 i guess..
    what baggio achieved in 5 years..del piero hasnt achieved it in almost 11 years..
    but strangely..dp has probably received more love from the juventus faihfull than baggio received..and baggio will probably be worshipped more than baggio as far as juventus fans are concerned..which i must admit,is weird.

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

del piero has a bigger charisma than baggio did. he was a fan favourite from day one.

JRulez

Aug 1, 2005
    ++ [ originally posted by axlrose85 ] ++
    lets look at their entire juventus careers..
    baggio was signed in 1990 and he left in 1995 if im not wrong..
    del piero was signed in 1994 i guess..
    what baggio achieved in 5 years..del piero hasnt achieved it in almost 11 years.. but strangely..dp has probably received more love from the juventus faihfull than baggio received..and baggio will probably be worshipped more than baggio as far as juventus fans are concerned..which i must admit,is weird.
    gotta disagree with u, baggio won 1 league title( in which he was a sub most of the season) and the uefa cup compared to del piero's 6 league titles, champions cup, world club cup, coppa italia's etc so del piero easily wins in terms of achievements and imo was every bit as good as baggio if not better until his injury.

granted Baggio won euro and world player of the year in 93, so on that count he achieved more

Also I think Alex has a stronger, more affectionate relationship with the fans

Codino

The Rival
    Jul 21, 2002
    actually. good thread to start up.
    good timing too as i think his juve career may be up.

del piero clearly has won more for the club than baggio did. and definatly was the protagonist for 2 years of his time here. delpiero has players around him that are better and bigger profile (to an exstent). when baggio was playing he was basically all juve fans talked about. but i reckon overall baggio was a better player for these reasons.

- he was consistantly great. the most important thing in a footballers career.

- he won world footballer of the year. enough said.

- versatile

- did his job for italy

- he was liked buy other fans around italy not just juventus.

- arguably the best ever italian soccer player.

thats my view.
    but i would definatly like to hear what other people have to say

:)

Codino

The Rival
    Jul 21, 2002
    but on the other hand he was also

- shy

- rarely liked by his coaches

which i think hampered his career.

and i think delpiero never gets back to gear after his injury.
    where as baggio had 4-5 career threating injuries but it never hampered his performence, even when he was a sub.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    i hate to start another del piero debate..
    but i cudnt resist this one.
    No. And neither will anyone fill Del Piero's shoes, just you wait and see. I can see it right now, the number of comparison threads and people battling over the issue.

It will take some time before someone can equal Del Piero's record, they don't come often.

In many ways, Del Piero did for the club what Baggio couldn't and vice versa with regards to the Azzurri.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    personally..i dont think alex filled the void left by baggio on the pitch.he never managed to come up to the level that was expected of baggio's heir to the throne.
    Redicilous, before his injury Alex was insane, the best player in the world. After his injury he hasn't been the same, but you can't take that into consideration, we can only think of what he could have been.

Also, as people have mentioned, Del Piero is a Juve player, Baggio has played for a lot of clubs, including the three biggest in Italy. I've always felt that however that Del Piero is the player of the Juve fans, while Baggio is all of Italy's.

JRulez

Aug 1, 2005
    ++ [ originally posted by Torkel ] ++

Redicilous, before his injury Alex was insane, the best player in the world . After his injury he hasn't been the same, but you can't take that into consideration, we can only think of what he could have been.
    Wasn't he just, he really was that great, I remember when Del Piro was the champions league, damn that injury:moan:

Oct 29, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Torkel ] ++

Also, as people have mentioned, Del Piero is a Juve player, Baggio has played for a lot of clubs, including the three biggest in Italy. I've always felt that however that Del Piero is the player of the Juve fans, while Baggio is all of Italy's.

agreed dp is mor juve while baggio is more italy, i mean he went and play for so many clubs whereas dp has only playd for juve (well mostly anyway)

Maher

Juventuz addict
    Dec 16, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Codino ] ++
    actually. good thread to start up.
    good timing too as i think his juve career may be up.

del piero clearly has won more for the club than baggio did. and definatly was the protagonist for 2 years of his time here. delpiero has players around him that are better and bigger profile (to an exstent). when baggio was playing he was basically all juve fans talked about. but i reckon overall baggio was a better player for these reasons.

- he was consistantly great. the most important thing in a footballers career.

- he won world footballer of the year. enough said.

- versatile

- did his job for italy

- he was liked buy other fans around italy not just juventus.

- arguably the best ever italian soccer player.

thats my view.
    but i would definatly like to hear what other people have to say

:)
    agreed

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    Del Piero has done more for Juventus than Baggio has, given their respective tenures at the club. Overall though, Dp would pale in comparison as a player. At his best, his skill isnt in doubt, but I think the difference between the two was actually their temperaments on the big stage both at club and country level. Baggio will always hold a position higher than that of Del Piero as far as the nation goes, and justifiably so. On a more narrow scope, as far as the Bianconeri go, Baggio was a short story but sweet nonethless, Del Piero was an essay with a great introduction but a fading conclusion that sort of tarnished that introduction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)