Why "The Old Lady"?? (1 Viewer)

Dec 27, 2003
Uh-oh, I will admit that I am not sure myself about the actual origin of the term "Vecchia Signora". I have heard some say that it is because of a noble old lady who in times gone by used to attend Juventus' games. Others claim it was Juventus' fans response to the nickname "gobbi", as "gobea" in Pedmontese dialect describes an old lady.

Lacking any time to research the matter, I can however state in all certainty that it dates back to an era long preceding the shorth-lived smokescreen of the "Seven sisters".

Dec 27, 2003
Codswallop.

They were named the Seven Sisters by none other than that old romanaccio of Carletto Mazzone, who by doing so wanted to point out how (for a short moment) there was a huge gap (in terms of - mainly financial - power) between said Seven Sisters and the rest, which enabled them to dominate the other teams pretty much as they wished.

The expression itself was (unwillingly?) borrowed from the oil industry, and more precisely from the then President of ENI Enrico Mattei. According to him, the Seven Sisters were : Standard Oil Trust, Caspian and Black Sea Petroleum Company, Royal Dutch, Shell, Texaco, Gulf Oil Corporation and British Petroleum. Just like their football successors, these multinaltional companies were enjoying a situation of almost total monopoly in the late 60's/early 70's.

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
Juve was called the old lady because back in the beggining of the of the in the 1900....Juve went through a long drought of not winning....and a reporter at that time said that "Juventus is like an Old Lady" and at that year they won (sorry dont really remember the details of the dates and all)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Well, our offensive effort in the second half of today's Chievo match definitely made me wonder if Capello needs to order some walkers for the squad. :frown:

I thought I was watching a shuffleboard match towards the end...

Codino

The Rival
Jul 21, 2002
a very experienced coach. with a tendancy to run to the opposing fans and swear at them! hahahaha ill never forget that.

forza mazzone!

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Kaiser was closest.

We are called the Old Lady cos when the team was founded, an old lady used to always watch our games so we were called "the team of the old lady" which with the years became quite simply known as the "Old Lady"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)