Does size matter? (1 Viewer)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
When you looked at players' legs in the eighties, you would notice they looked rather thin. When you look at them now, you notice they're muscular.

But it's not just about getting more muscles. Are players growing as well? In today's game it seems you're only going to be any good if you're 1m85 tall.

Which makes me wonder: do they stress the physical aspect of football too much? It seems to me that coaches are more sceptical towards the Rosicky type of player than they used to be.

I even notice it in my own team: I'm as good as anyone else, but because I'm the smallest, our supporters are rather sceptical. I need to put on weight they say. But do I? It's just preseason, but I've been dangerous in our three friendly games. I came on as a sub in all games.

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I see that happening across all sports, to be honest.

Take American football, where size is king. Back in the 1970s, one of the most ferocious and feared linebackers was Jack Lambert. Six-year All-Pro and 4-time SuperBowl winner who was notorious about taking shots at Cowboys quarterback, Roger Staubach, before Super Bowl X (upon hearing that the Cowboys were relaxing on Miami beaches while the Steelers were in heavy training, he commented, "I hope a shark bites his arm off.") Pretty tough dude.

He weighed about 220 lb (100kg).

Today, the NFL has placekickers that weight that much. You can't even be a linebacker in the league now without another 25kg. Athletes are developing more heft and muscle in general.

njork10

Jun 30, 2005
anyone noticed how tiny delpieros legs are.No wonder hes always outmuscled.Cap needs to make him work on his physical fitness

ashwin

Jul 19, 2005
i think thats nonsense. depends how the team wants to play. if ur gonna play very physical football then sure, u need big strong players, but u'll have a tough time arguing that players like henry are muscular. infact, just taking arsenal as an example, there are pleanty of pint sized lil guys in there that absolutely kick ass. guess fabregas cole and clichy are the most obvious guys to pick on.

i dont think size matters, by size u usually sacrifice speed. i guess its the mcdonalds culture getting to us all. big isn't always better

OP
Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #11
    ++ [ originally posted by ashwin ] ++
    i think thats nonsense. depends how the team wants to play. if ur gonna play very physical football then sure, u need big strong players, but u'll have a tough time arguing that players like henry are muscular. infact, just taking arsenal as an example, there are pleanty of pint sized lil guys in there that absolutely kick ass. guess fabregas cole and clichy are the most obvious guys to pick on.

i dont think size matters, by size u usually sacrifice speed. i guess its the mcdonalds culture getting to us all. big isn't always better
    Henry's definitely not small though.

Jan 7, 2004
    trust me, i look at the Albanian National team and i always wonder, does anyone feed this guys ? they look like they will get eaten alive by the other team. in modern sports size is a big aspect

Gep

The Guv'nor
    Jun 12, 2005
    Its true! A few seasons back we had a Tottenham & Watford scouts attending our games, purely looking for tall players. They chose the shittest player in our squad cos they could work on him while the average players hardly got a look at. I played with Ray wilkins' son Ross (mind u he was nothing like his dad at all) and I spoke to Ray himself, and he did state that Height is one of the main factors in football unless you have exceptional talent ie:Maradona.

Suppose thats why Watford and tottenham are shit today!

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by ashwin ] ++

Aye, I concur. A player like Ibrahimovic, who is both tall and skilled, is an exception. It depends entirely on your playing style.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #20
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++

Aye, I concur. A player like Ibrahimovic, who is both tall and skilled, is an exception. It depends entirely on your playing style.
    The thing is, I won't get a starting place in my team because I'm simply not big enough. Everyone says I'm technically very gifted, if not the most gifted player on the team and that I'm pretty fast.

But I'm small.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)