Genoa demoted to C1 (1 Viewer)

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
Wednesday 27 July, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genoa have been demoted to Serie C1 after the Italian Football League concluded their investigation into claims of match-fixing.

The charge related to Genoa’s 3-2 victory over Venezia on the last day of the Serie B season, which was enough to secure automatic promotion.

As a result, the Rossoblu will instead play next season in Serie C1.

To make matters worse, the League also imposed a three point deduction.

Club president Enrico Preziosi and general manager Stefano Capozucca were banned from the game for five years for their roles in the affair.

Venezia managing director Francesco Dal Cin was also given a five-year ban.

And Venezia’s 23-year-old Czech ‘keeper Martin Lejsal and 34-year-old striker Massimo Borgobello were given bans of five and six months for their part in the affair.

Both clubs have the right to appeal the decisions.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Imagine that. You're a fan of Genoa watching your side be promotted back to Serie A after years of being below it, rejoicing in the celebrations after beating Venezia. During the summer you're so excited about the new season you're sweating your balls off thinking about playing the likes of Juventus and AC Milan, wondering "damn, can we beat them? I think so!"

Then one day you wake up and see a report on Channel 4 saying your club will be playing in Serie C1 next season. Can't help but find that a little amusing..

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Wow. Would have been A ------> C1.

It is a shame. But the fact that there has been a successful investigation and crack down is always a healthy sign for the league.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Imagine that. You're a fan of Genoa watching your side be promotted back to Serie A after years of being below it, rejoicing in the celebrations after beating Venezia. During the summer you're so excited about the new season you're sweating your balls off thinking about playing the likes of Juventus and AC Milan, wondering "damn, can we beat them? I think so!"

Then one day you wake up and see a report on Channel 4 saying your club will be playing in Serie C1 next season. Can't help but find that a little amusing..
I wouldn't wanna Imagine that.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Really? Wow. Didn't think they'd go so far as to shorten the season.

I guess it was either that or Napoli goes back to A and bypasses B entirely. :rolleyes:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Can't help but feeling a little sad for them. I wonder why they did it though. It just seems such a big risk.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by king Ale ] ++
the funniest and the most strange things are happend in Italian football.
first Messina and Toro--------->serie B,now Genoa to serie C1 :confused:
I really wanted Torino:(...too bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)