Lilian Thuram (1 Viewer)

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Now, if we can only bring in Samuel and convince Lilian to play right-back again..
I think Lilian plays better as a central defender than RB.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Jeeks ] ++

I think Lilian plays better as a central defender than RB.
I am not impressed his with ariel ability, and the main problem our defense has had this season is dealing with high balls. Thuram was totally inept in the matches against Liverpool and Fiorentina in dealing with high crosses, and Samuel would fix that problem. Thuram's best season with Juventus was in 2003 when he was at right-back, and I believe he's better there.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004

I am not impressed his with ariel ability, and the main problem our defense has had this season is dealing with high balls. Thuram was totally inept in the matches against Liverpool and Fiorentina in dealing with high crosses, and Samuel would fix that problem. Thuram's best season with Juventus was in 2003 when he was at right-back, and I believe he's better there.
It will be best with a 3 man defence with Thuram, Cannavaro and Samuel.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
A back three would be ideal with that core of defenders, however with Camoranesi on the right Thuram will have to take basically a RB role anyway.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
A back three would be ideal with that core of defenders, however with Camoranesi on the right Thuram will have to take basically a RB role anyway.
This is why I want to see Camoranesi with a more free-role position.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004

Though Thuram's worst season was in 2004, when he was at right-back. Also, those matches against Fiorentina and Liverpool were the exceptions in an otherwise outstanding season. You are right about his ariel ability, but it has only hampered him in two matches this season.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Dominic ] ++

Though Thuram's worst season was in 2004, when he was at right-back. Also, those matches against Fiorentina and Liverpool were the exceptions in an otherwise outstanding season. You are right about his ariel ability, but it has only hampered him in two matches this season.
Still, I think his skills are better suited for a right-back position. I can think of a few more instances where Thuram has been exposed in the air, and that could be our downfall once again for next season, especially with him starting to age. Some of his decision making is a bit dodgy playing in the center, something that comes from inexperiance. He was a better RB than CB IMO.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004

Still, I think his skills are better suited for a right-back position. I can think of a few more instances where Thuram has been exposed in the air, and that could be our downfall once again for next season, especially with him starting to age. Some of his decision making is a bit dodgy playing in the center, something that comes from inexperiance. He was a better RB than CB IMO.
I do not agree about the decision making as his positioning has been superb. He WAS a better RB than CB, but IMO he IS a better CB than RB nowadays.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Dominic ] ++

I do not agree about the decision making as his positioning has been superb. He WAS a better RB than CB, but IMO he IS a better CB than RB nowadays.
And why would that be? Just because he had a very poor season last year with other horrible defenders around him? Under Capello he would return to form on the right side of defense; there is no reason why he couldn't play right-back again. He wouldn't be as exposed in the air as much playing outside and he still has the ball skills to push up a bit on the flank. He even played basically a RB role when we fielded a 3-man defense this term.

And yes, his decision making when it comes to pushing up for the offsides trap has been poor IMO, along with some marking decisions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)