Worst /most disappointing XI of the world cup (1 Viewer)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
It will be so easy to say the Saudi Arabian team as they were the worst but i will refrain from that as its no fun, so i will pick my worst or most disappointing players
Goalkeeper
There were a few donkeys and bad performances from Ardense and Dudek, i have gone for Baia, whose performances were so poor, its had to think where he got his reputation from

For right back, Thuram was disappointing, but i have gone for Panucci solely for his abysmal performance against South Korea, for not only causing the equaliser, also for pulling the shirt for the penalty, his ineptitude in his setplays both free kicks and cornerkicks, and also his inability to prevent a cross from any oppoment

For left back, Maldini will want to forget this tournament, so will Placente, but the overall winner to me is juanfran of Spain, summed up by his penalty against Ireland, how he went to the wc, i will never know

For Central defenders, Desailly was a mess, ditto for his partner, Leboeuf,Pochetino wont have won any admirers, neither would Couto and sadly Montero
but the gruseome twosome have to be
Materazzi for almost single handedly dragging defeat from the jaws of victory and his partner

Jorge Costa who put in inept display after inept display

In the midfield, Beckham and Scholes were disappointing, same for Tommassi, Valeron was a massive let down, so too were Petit and Djorkaeff, Rui Costa was a joke, the same for Totti, but i would go for

Veron a massive disappointment

Figo probably the most disappointing star of the wc

Viera what a waste to show how good he really is

Ortega Imo the most overrated player in a long time, he always wants to dribble and can't and he dived so many times i lost interest anytime he got the ball

In attack
Janker made me laugh by trying to lob The Ireland keeper ,Shay Given, when he has no ounce of skills, Trez proved that without support he is hopeless, Crespo was so underused, same with Dp, Montella and Cisse, Henry disappointed and Olisadebe was invisible but i have gone for

Hakan Sukur if you saw the wc then i dont need to say anything and

Tristian, what a massive let down from one of my personal faves

For the manager, amytime theres a hopeless team, theres always 2 managers so i have given the tag team to
Trapatoni and Lamere for making potential champs into chumps
with technical director being Biesla
O

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Nice thread although it is a sad one.

Goalkeeper
Well Barthez actually did quite well, although he flunked out on a Recoba dribble that would have cost them the game hadn't Chino missed the open net. Seaman is a crystal clear contender although I never thought much of him anyway so hardly disappointing there. No, I think I will opt for our own Dudek, whose performance pretty much reflected the rest of the player's.

Defence
Neither Materazzi nor Maldini will earn a high regard. Same goes for Waldoch and Hajto although the latter is little more than a regular thug. On reputation, Maldini and Waldoch stand out and will take the fall for this one. To add a third, why not take Pochettino who looked like a mess to me.

Midfield
Oh so many to choose from, this is not easy. Figo was always cracked up to be something big. Well never saw him this summer, can't even confirm that he was playing. Veron, the leader of Argentina. Well not anymore, I think all comparisons to Maradona (because all great Argentine midfielders will be at some point in their career) are now well behind us. Petit. Hah! He practically scored for Senegal in the opening game, that man had no idea what he was doing. And lastly Mendieta. Yes it was going to be his big return. And shockingly, his team did very well for once. But he was not part of the glory.

Attack
Diego Tristan didn't play much, completely and utterly outshined by the man often proclaimed not up to that international standard, Morientes. Batistuta scored about 50 goals in 70 matches in his career but he was of no assistance to his team and might as well never have flown in. Recoba loves playing for his national team but he never scored, unlike prodigy Santa Cruz from the [almost] neighboring country. But the real prize for this three star attack I simply have to bestow upon the lethal trio Henry-Trezeguet-Cisse. The latter not really at fault but needed to make the trio complete ;)

So there you have it....

---------------Dudek-------------

Pochettino---Waldoch---Maldini

Figo---Veron---Petit---Mendieta

---Cisse---Trezeguet---Henry

Jul 12, 2002
I'm going to go for a line up more like this:

-------------Sorensen-------------
--Agoos---Montero---Maldini---
--Figo--Nakata--Totti--Kenyon Dier
------------Veron-----------------
--Batistuta-----Larsson-------

OP
denco

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #4
    Not a bad line up, like you i was not fooled with Larsson's goals, his overall play was disappointing, but Sorensen only had one bad game, while Dyer imo is over rated

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
    Not a bad line up, like you i was not fooled with Larsson's goals, his overall play was disappointing, but Sorensen only had one bad game, while Dyer imo is over rated
    I considered Sorensen a top keeper, but I am now doubtfull. As for Dier, I never got the hype, but he was bad even for a standard English NT member.

OP
    denco

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #8
    ++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++

I wouldn't say that he was great, but his performances were at least as good as Buffon's.
    Probably the 2 best Juve performances in the wc,

Codino

The Rival
    Jul 21, 2002
    i think the worst manager of the tournement has to be Trappatoni... but not just for leaving Baggio at home... but for continuingly letting italy play a non creative football!

i know this is gonna sound bad for all u Juventini but del piero really didnt show any signs of world class football... that first performence was a shocker!

Totti was so overrated!!

Vieri doesnt Run!

People blame Matterazzi.. but noone gave him a chance! 1 game he had..only one.

I really hope they change something soon!

Codino

The Rival
    Jul 21, 2002
    Manager of the world cup must go to Bruno Metsu...
    im still wondering how he got those gifted african players to work so well Together! as a team! not Individuals...
    (italy should take notes)

OP
    denco

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #16
    RobyBaggio i am not sure how with one hand u say Dp had a shocker in the fist game where he only played 18 mins in a dead game and with the other you say Materazzi was only given one chance where he played significantly more minutes.

Whose performance was more shocking? Just seems to me a typical Baggio fan slagging off Dp as always

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
    Are you saying the rest were bad? i guess you are
    I sure am. Montero, was horrible, DP was not exactly fantastic, Zamby was good, for one game. Trezeguet was a disaster, similar sotry with Thuram. And Iuliano was weak at best. Buffon and Carini were horrible, but their performances were hardly World Cup worthy.

OP
    denco

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #18
    Buffon and Carini were horrible, but their performances were hardly World Cup worthy.
    [/QUOTE]

I am sure you meant to say were not horrible

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)