Italy Keeps 4 Cl Spots!!! (2 Viewers)

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Serie A sides second in UEFA rankings
Football Italia

Italy have maintained second spot behind Spain in the latest UEFA rankings and will enter four teams for the 2003-04 edition of the Champions’ League.

It was feared that recent years of poor results in Europe would cost Serie A its prestige and the fourth qualifying place for the main competition.

However, a recent resurgence in their fortunes – particularly Milan’s 100% record in a tough Group – have seen them maintain second spot ahead of England and Germany.

Once again two teams will qualify directly while another two will go through the preliminary round to enter the Champions’ League group stage.

Four teams (two preliminary):
Spain, Italy, England

Three teams (one preliminary):
Germany, France, Greece

Two teams (one preliminary):
Holland, Turkey, Portugal

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I must say why does greece get three, but holland, turkey and portugal, all better leagues IMO, get two ??

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
If it is indeed Milan to thank then thank you Milan!!

Greece on 3 is ridiculous. :groan: Here's my plan..

4 - Italy, Spain, France ;)
3 - Portugal, Holland
2 - Germany, England, Greece, Turkey

;)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
Great for italy....but why greece!!!!

i agree, this sounds crazy!!

i dont think Olympiakos's big results this season had that big of an effect to put them ahead of better teams like Ajax, PSV, Porto, Galatasary!!

Pana and Olym have done well, but 3 places is waaay too much....

OP
Tom

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
  • Thread Starter #4
    I would prefer

Spain, Italy 5
    Holland, Portugal, France, Germany, England 3
    Greece, Turkey 2

;)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    Spain, Italy 4
    England, Germany, France, Holland 3
    Portugal, Turkey, Greece 2
    Saudi Arabia 1 ;) .....oops, brain fart! my imagination has gone wild again!

OP
    Tom

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
  • Thread Starter #7
    :extatic: hey that would be brilliant!!

then Real Madrid would actually get in, thanks to their league position, rather than jus cause they are previous winners :D

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    same here...we have 26 penuts, rice, scudetti, whatever!!
    but we only have 2 CL titles...we need more!!!

Though it will be kewl :cool: to start a chess board of juve titles ;) all we need is 6 more :D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Hey it's not that I frown on the scudetto, but the CL.. I mean the top prize in European competition, meanwhile Real have 9 of them. You can't just be sitting at home smiling about that! :D

Oh and for the record
    Juve - 26 league triumphs - 2 CL
    Real - 28 is it? - 9 CL
    Ajax - I'm guessing it's up to 30 now - 5 CL

and the horror of it all..

Liverpool - who cares? - 3 CL
    Nott. Forest - probably like 2 - 2 CL

noooooooo! :down:

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    I have no idea why Greece has 3 teams as they usually fumble in Cl every year, not sure I can remember the last time any of the Greek teams actually qualified for 1/4s

France they always amaze me when every season a team wins the league, they sell most of their good players and when they enter Cl, they lose almost all their matches

Juve have definitely under achieved in Cl

nina

Feb 18, 2001
    That's a very good news, but I would still like to see a tournament where only the real champions play and not also the 2nd, 3rd and 4th :rolleyes:

OP
    Tom

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
  • Thread Starter #15
    ++ [ originally posted by nina ] ++
    That's a very good news, but I would still like to see a tournament where only the real champions play and not also the 2nd, 3rd and 4th :rolleyes:
    I agree completely, but unfortunately, this will never happen, for financial reasons :(

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
    Jan 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
    However, a recent resurgence in their fortunes – particularly Milan’s 100% record in a tough Group – have seen them maintain second spot ahead of England and Germany.
    That's not true, UEFA decides on the number of teams to get in the CL based on the participations of teams from that country for the past 5 YEARS .. not the past 5 months ;)

OP
    Tom

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
  • Thread Starter #18
    ++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
    That's not true, UEFA decides on the number of teams to get in the CL based on the participations of teams from that country for the past 5 YEARS .. not the past 5 months ;)
    don't look at me..i didn't write it:fero::D:D

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by nina ] ++
    Welcome back Nina ..... I agree with you but since we will never see a CL for league champions here is my suggestion:-
    3 - Macedonia,
    6 - Portugal, Greece, Turkey, Scotland, Belgium
    8 - England, Germany, Holland
    10 - Italy
    15 - Spain

Then we might as well watch the CL every week Monday to Friday and continue with the domestic leagues on the weekends and the financial gurus can all be happy. And each team will have 70 players and 3 stadiums, 7 home kits & 13 away kits ....... jeez did I smoke something? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)