What do you think of this? (1 Viewer)

s0ftcore

Jul 13, 2002
I was just wondering, do you change a winning lineup when you head for your next game? I mean for example, Newcastle beat West Ham 4-0 with their normal 4-4-2 formation but went into the Man City match with a 3-5-2 formation. Do you think that's why they lost, because they changed a winning lineup? Another example is Man Utd... selling Jaap Stam and playing Blanc.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
You certainly don't change a line-up to 'fit' the other team better - and if your last line-up was a winning one then you leave it that way unless you're forced to change it due to injuries or suspensions.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
I would also say that it's better to keep a usual line-up. Not because it's a winning one (although that's a pretty good reason :D ), but because it gives a chance for the whole team to really get to know eachother's game; everyone knows exactly where his place is so they don't get in the way of other mates, what he has to do, maybe even think of a certain trick they'll play.

BUT, sometimes it's good that you change your style of play, especially if the team you are playing against knows you well. There are also teams against which you have to play more defensively and others where you can send half a team into an attack.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Its kinda difficult to answer your first question as first of all Newcastle were playing at home against a side which are weaker on paper so it was easier for them to play an attacking formation with untried Vianna on the left, while against Man city he changed the system to limit the influence of Bernabia and Berkovic, but i do believe if he stuck with the team that beat West Ham, Newcastle would have been hammered.

For your second question, well Man united won nothing last season and now have spent an unnecessary 30m because the manager was silly enough to sell Stam

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
I think its good to change ur line-up even if it was a winning one .. in Barca, for example, Rexach used to play with two forwards Saviola + Rivaldo at home and with only one forward, Kluivert at away matches .. Its also good to change ur line-up as a form of surprise to the oppoising coach and players .. professional players should get used to any formation, specially with the training sessions prior to the games ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)