Brighi to earn Azzurri debut (2 Viewers)

Codino

The Rival
Jul 21, 2002
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brighi to earn Azzurri debut

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reports suggest that there will be three new faces in Italy’s friendly with Slovenia, including Juventus midfielder Matteo Brighi.

It is widely believed that the 21-year-old will be a focal point for the new Azzurri set-up and will debut in the August 21 match against Slovenia.

“To be called a young player with great promise can only make me happy,” admitted Brighi, who spent last season on loan at Bologna.

“If I have been called back to Juventus now then it means I am prepared to accept responsibility. I am ready for this Azzurri call.”

The full list of names will be revealed on Saturday afternoon, but the fact that Under-21 international Brighi was not included in Claudio Gentile’s squad makes it certain he will be promoted to the senior side.

Looks like Trap is doing something right for once!!:D

Buy on AliExpress.com

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Well with Gattusso still called up, not impressed and with Totti injured it really was the time to call up Pirlo and Fiore but its still the same old sterile midfield

nina

Feb 18, 2001
Giovanni Trapattoni has responded to Christian Vieri’s claims that Italy were too prudent at the 2002 World Cup.

The striker criticised the Azzurri boss in the aftermath of the side’s shock exit to South Korea in the last 16 of the tournament.

However, Trap hit back at the Inter man on Monday as he met with the rest of the squad in preparation for Wednesday’s friendly against Slovenia.

"I don’t think that Christian said anything outrageous but other sides who seemed rather offensive went out of the tournament sooner than we did. And let us not forget that we did create scoring chances," he said.

"We need to discuss things between ourselves because here we play as a team. This is not a cycling race when everyone is just pedalling for themselves.

"Looking back at the World Cup, and not including the goal scored by Tommasi which was onside, we had five great chances but failed to take them."

Trap seemed to be pointing the finger at Vieri’s late chance against the co-hosts which he failed to convert with his right foot with the goal asking to be scored.

Despite calls from some quarters for Trapattoni to be axed after the Mondiali disaster, the Coach has remained in his seat.

"I never had the intention of lifting up the white flag. I am happy to be here as well as honoured," he added.

"But I’m not looking for revenge after the World Cup. What happened this summer was simply a fall. I’ve picked myself up on many occasions in the past."

Trap also commented on the possible implications that a late Serie A start would have on his 2004 European Championship qualifying campaign.

"For the September 7 game in Azerbaijan, I think the players will arrive physically as I expected.

"If the season is postponed then I just hope that my players won’t suffer from a lack of match fitness."

Trapattoni has called in two newcomers to the squad for the Slovenia game as Juventus’ Matteo Brighi and Massimo Oddo of Lazio have won their first call-ups.

However, Trap may have to draft in new men as he currently has injury concerns over goalkeeper Francesco Toldo, plus strikers Christian Vieri and Vincenzo Montella.

The Slovenia game will also be the first in the post Paolo Maldini era after he announced his international retirement.

Football Italia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)