Did U Know? (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY - were formed in 1867 from a cricket club. The name Wednesday was used because the players were only free to play each Wednesday.
Strangely enough, I did know that. What I want to know is how Go ahead Eagles got their name, and those Swiss teams like Young boys and Grass Hopers.

OP
dpforever

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #4
    According to a Finnish study, a top level soccer match should see a total of 1,000 touches of the ball (on average of 350 one-touch passes, 150 two touch, and between 400-500 with more than two touches). Successful top teams need on the average 16-30 attacks and 7-10 shots just to score one goal. The typical attack that produces a goal should take less than 25 seconds, and between 2-6 players take part in that attack.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY - were formed in 1867 from a cricket club. The name Wednesday was used because the players were only free to play each Wednesday.

(More to come ..)
    Well a lot of Wednesday fans will tell you the team is still doing the same thing as they never seem to turn up on a saturday as they are always beaten:howler:

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    Looks like someone is sleeping, eating & drinking football :cheesy: Amazing ..... you are inductd into my hall of fame dpf :star:

OP
    dpforever

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #11
    Omar Sivori, Juve's legend, holds jointly with Silvio Piola the record of scoring the most number of goals in a Serie A game. Both scored 6 goals to help their teams win their respective matches. Sivori did that in the 60-61 season against Inter Milan when the game ended 9-1 for the Bianconeri. While Piola scored his 6 goals against Fiorentina in the 33-34 season in a match that ended 7-2 for Piola's team, Pro Vercelli.

OP
    dpforever

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #12
    ++ [ originally posted by DaJuve ] ++
    Looks like someone is sleeping, eating & drinking football :cheesy: Amazing ..... you are inductd into my hall of fame dpf :star:

Thanx man. :touched:

OP
    dpforever

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #13
    Italy -- whose national colors are green, white, and red-- wear blue jerseys due to that being the colour of the Italian monarchs. Those were thrown out after the sacking of the Fascists at which at that time the country, but not the football team, adopted the green-white-red republican tricolore. Italy are also called the azurri because the mediterranean sea around Italy appears to be azure blue.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    The typical attack that produces a goal should take less than 25 seconds, and between 2-6 players take part in that attack.
    the norwegian football coach egil ''drillo'' olsen (coached wimbledon) once said something like after you've had the ball for so so many seconds you could just give it away, cause you werent going to score anyhow.
    he likes to analyse the game, and cares a lot for studies like this one

OP
    dpforever

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #17
    The phrase 'local derby' derives from a traditional game played between two parish teams in the English city of Derby. When the two played each other, it was known as the 'Derby match', and since then games between any two teams from similar areas have been known as 'derby matches' or simply '(local) derbies'.

The word can mean slightly different things in other languages, for example it would not be unusual for the Real Madrid-Barcelona game to be described as a 'derby' in Spanish, simply because it is a big game (although it is more commonly known as 'el clasico').

OP
    dpforever

dpforever

Jan 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #18
    United means that all the members have decided to 'unite' under the same banner. They are committed to the same cause. They are 'united'. For example, there were a number of clubs playing in Newcastle in the 1880s, including Newcastle East End and Newcastle West End. When East End took over the St James' Park ground of West End in 1892 it was decided to adopt a new name that would bring together all the supporters in the city. Hence Newcastle United. In other cases, clubs adopted the name because they liked its sense of purpose. Most famously, Newton Heath FC changed their name to Manchester United in 1902.

Anastacia

Jul 12, 2002
    speaking of derbies, i think that italy has the BEST derbies in europe:

italy: inter-milan, roma-lazio (my fav), juve-torino.

eng: too many derbies, but none stands out: man utd- man city, arsenal-'spur-chelsea-fulham, liv'pool-everton, ...

spain: r.madrid-a.madrid...

anyway, i think u get my point, the italian derbies are more 'classic'

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    In Spain the biggest derby is probably the biggest in the world and thats Real Vs Barcelona, while Liverpool vs Man united does stand out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)